Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,466   Online: 1179

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Pan F ??

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bad Pan F ??

What he said though I do let it warm slowly and any condensation to evaporate naturally. But your film will be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    All this is BS to me. When its frozen, I hold it in my hand for a few seconds, until it's not cold anymore. About 15 seconds. And then pitch it in my camera and start shooting.
    I think you are saying that from say minus 18 degrees centrigrade to loaded and shooting in camera is 15 secs in the hand?

Have I got this right? Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I think you are saying that from say minus 18 degrees centrigrade to loaded and shooting in camera is 15 secs in the hand?

Have I got this right? Thanks

pentaxuser
    and you were there when Ilford told us this was the cause of some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I don't get all these warnings and extra careful manipulations.

I really don't care how I handle my films in and out of the freezer. No ziploc, no extra care, no slow thawing, no second thoughts on condensation. All this is BS to me. When its frozen, I hold it in my hand for a few seconds, until it's not cold anymore. About 15 seconds. And then pitch it in my camera and start shooting.
    You do as you like, but just be aware the film manufacturers havve all seen customer complaints which were caused by poor storage, low temperatures and not allowing time to warm up properly "slowly" - all caused by the customers themselves.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-02-2013 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Most of the evidence I have heard and read, Ian, suggests strongly that you are right on both counts in your post. However there has often been occasions on APUG when what I have read is not exactly what the person posting meant. There might be some potential for a different and wrong interpretation on my part such as "freezer" has been used for fridge where the scope for a trouble free 15 second warm-up and use may be much greater.

I am hoping to get clarification that my interpretation of what was said in the quote was in fact a correct interpretation on my part.

I await confirmation or otherwise of my understanding of what NB23 said.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course.
    Film is so thin. And from minus 18 to plus 20 in 15 seconds is about what it takes for a roll of film in my hand.

About manufacturers recommendations, they have to sound serious and the have to recommend something.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bad Pan F ??

I did that once. I was in a rush to develop a few rolls of film as I had a little bit of time. I used to store my exposed but undeveloped rolls in the fridge if I couldn't develop it right away. Took them out only let it warm up for a few minutes on the counter and popped them out to develop. The film had stuck itself to its own emulsion from that bit of condensation. a hassle to peel off and load. So I stopped keeping exposed film in the fridge, and let any films warm up over a good hour of time if they are from the freezer.

Also today I was outside for a bit shooting and it was very windy and a little chilly at about 40F. Finished a roll of Panatomic X, rewound it, and I usually leave a bit of leader out( if I'm going to reload a non reloadable cassette without destroying it with a bottle opener it gives me one or two more uses) and I like to bend the leader back to make a hard crease so I know it's been exposed. Right when I bent it, it snapped and split apart clean. It tested it again on the broken off piece and it happened again. Had to be the cold making it brittle.

Temp swings affect film simple as that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Thanks Davedm.
    I should read more slowly, or understand quicker !
    Thats easier then, the two plastics used in the tubs have a different make up and probably the bottom contracted and squeezed the top off or vice versa....still a bit odd.
    Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    As part of designing a developer, I have tested every non-C-41 film (in 35mm) made by Ilford. All were stored frozen. Never saw this. Never saw any evidence of outward pressure on the caps. Odd indeed.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear NB23

As always, whatever works for you is cool ( excuse the pun ) with me.

In relation to 'advice' from manufacturers, it is actually our duty to our customers, those with perhaps less experience than 99% of APUGGERS that this site is for and may need some extra help and guidance in the best use of our products ( and I'm 100% sure its the same with KODAK and FUJI ) and other proven forms of good photo 'practice'.

We have tested and continue to test all kinds of parameters to ensure that customers who use our ILFORD brand of products and spend their hard earned money on get what they need and expect and of course, don't they deserve this? Our benefit is very simple, customers will use our products again, know that we value our customers and will value our brand and know that they have a resource to access to ensure that on-going 'satisfaction'.

If you think thats BS, that's absolutely your opinion and your right to hold it and share it and in this we shall agree to differ...

I also do not know if you are actually saying that you can get a cassette of film from -18 to 20 degrees in 15 seconds? I am pretty sure your not, because you certainly cannot even if you have the highest body temperature known to man !.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post

In relation to 'advice' from manufacturers, it is actually our duty to our customers, those with perhaps less experience than 99% of APUGGERS that this site is for and may need some extra help and guidance in the best use of our products
    The experienced 99% of APUGGERS should be reading the manufacturers' advice too!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    The experienced 99% of APUGGERS should be reading the manufacturers' advice too!
    they do know their products.

Ian

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin