Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,338   Online: 751

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Pan F ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shoot some Pan F+ and wait, say, eight or nine months (at room temperature is probably worse) to develop it - you'll find out it has a bad trait. It's a great film, I agree, but latent image stability is....quite a bit less than with other modern films.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yesterday I develloped a roll of PanF+ in Rodinal that was exposed end of last year. All images came out in a bad condition so I stopped printing. This had never happened to me before, not with any B&W emulsion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something similar happened to my Pan F last fall. I believe it may be caused by two factors: the age of the film when exposed and the time elapsed between exposing and developing.

Best advice is to shoot fresh Pan F and process promptly. It's a beautiful film, especially in Rodinal.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Shot 11 Pan-F rolls in Cuba, last month. Expired in 2005. Out from the freezer right into my +35c camera with 80% humidity.
    Ilfosol-3 @1:14.
    Beautiful contrast. Incredible images. No ill effecrs at all.

Conclusion: to thaw film is like to thaw a sheet of dry paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    Something similar happened to my Pan F last fall. I believe it may be caused by two factors: the age of the film when exposed and the time elapsed between exposing and developing.

Best advice is to shoot fresh Pan F and process promptly. It's a beautiful film, especially in Rodinal.

Dave
    PanF has less robust latent image keeping qualities than other films. I'm not sure why this is, but you'll often notice very faint edge printing on PanF because of this. I always develop PanF within a week of exposure at the very most.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bad Pan F ??

Guys, regarding the latent image failure issues Simmon has said before that Ilford recommends you develop within 3 months of exposure. I always leave it in the fridge after shooting until processing it. I leave it in air tight "snapware" containers. I've waited at least 2-3 months with no issue.

I've never seen an explanation as to why it's an AFTER exposure issue, but I'm sure if they could correct it without changing the image quality and tonality, they would have by now.

Don't you get excited and want to see your images right away anyway??

I can't imagine waiting months and months to expose a roll, the 2 months I once waited was that Rodinal was unavailable for a short time and I ran out. Lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to disagree with this. I've had this happen with pan-f quite a few times but I ruled out the "latent image stability" theory for the simple fact that the markings on the edge are like the exposed image: either well exposed or severely washed out. Bear in mind that these markings are exposed at the manufacturing stage while the image is exposed much later (years, even!). In my experience, I've never seen a difference between the manufacture markings and my images.

By this Logic, my simple conclusion is this: bad film or good film. That's it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bad Pan F ??

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I have to disagree with this. I've had this happen with pan-f quite a few times but I ruled out the "latent image stability" theory for the simple fact that the markings on the edge are like the exposed image: either well exposed or severely washed out. Bear in mind that these markings are exposed at the manufacturing stage while the image is exposed much later (years, even!). In my experience, I've never seen a difference between the manufacture markings and my images.

By this Logic, my simple conclusion is this: bad film or good film. That's it.
    Hmm I've ALWAYS had washed out markings and strong not washed out images.... Never have I seen strong markings that matched the film.

How do you store your film? I always keep mine in the fridge or freezer both before and after shooting until processed.

I've never had a bad roll of PanF+ ... I've shot in 100° F and -15° F and never anything different with that film.

What developer do you use?

If you say xtol I will laugh and blame that

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bad Pan F ??

Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    PanF has less robust latent image keeping qualities than other films. I'm not sure why this is, but you'll often notice very faint edge printing on PanF because of this. I always develop PanF within a week of exposure at the very most.
    I've gone two months with no ill effects, but I froze the film after exposure and kept it frozen until a few hours before developing. Otherwise, while I like the film I wouldn't shoot it because it's rare that I can develop sooner than a few weeks after shooting. Freezing seems to prevent the problem over the time frames I have experienced, but I'd guess there is a limit there eventually.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Bad Pan F ??

Oh and I too ALWAYS have washed out thin edge markings with Pan F+ and nice density in my images.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin