Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,189   Online: 873

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad Pan F ??

Shooter
    35mm

Bad Pan F ??

I just had a bit of a surprise. I just opened up four boxes of ilford pan f 35mm film. They had been in my fridge for several months. Possibly just at freezing temp. When I opened the boxes I found that each of the four canisters had their caps off. That's right - in unopened box with caps OFF. Don't know how that happened. So they've been at freezing temp with the caps off. So... are they any good? I've never encountered this before. I don't want to shoot and process them if the film has 'freezer burn'.

What do you think?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very Odd,

We use only 'crimped' cassettes so they do not 'pop'. Even if the cassette got damp and froze it should not 'pop' the top unless it was actually full of water?

When you say they were 'in the box' where they also in the plastic tub ? if so it is unexplainable
    ( send me the batch number ).

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PS : If you have 'seen' the film with popped end caps the film is fogged and lost I'm afraid.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    35mm
    I think he means that plastic can/canister caps have come off from the can and not the cassette caps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davedm View Post
    I think he means that plastic can/canister caps have come off from the can and not the cassette caps.
    Yep, I reckon that's it, still odd thing to happen if the film is still in the box, but the film should be fine, just let it warm up and dry thoroughly before using. I personally never freeze film, just keep it in a very cold fridge and leave it a few hours before using.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Davedm.

I should read more slowly, or understand quicker !

Thats easier then, the two plastics used in the tubs have a different make up and probably the bottom contracted and squeezed the top off or vice versa....still a bit odd.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Film is not food.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Likely fine. If you immediately put the film back in the freezer, put the lids back on the canisters, and thaw as slowly as you can. Shoot a test roll before shooting anything important, but I expect no ill effects.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    thaw as slowly as you can.
    That's Ilford's recommendation as well.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't get all these warnings and extra careful manipulations.

I really don't care how I handle my films in and out of the freezer. No ziploc, no extra care, no slow thawing, no second thoughts on condensation. All this is BS to me. When its frozen, I hold it in my hand for a few seconds, until it's not cold anymore. About 15 seconds. And then pitch it in my camera and start shooting.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin