Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,179   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe so. If not there's a shop here in town with about 20 bottles that I could pick up. ^_^
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    Is Brown Toner still available ?
    My understanding is the Kodak version is gone or going away. I recently got some "Legacy" stuff from Freestyle which is purportedly equivalent , but haven't had occasion to try it yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Brown Toner...

I've heard that the Kodak stuff has already GONE away and anything left is old stock.

Houston Camera Exchange still has a few bottles on the shelf, which is where I got mine. I'll probably pick up three or four more next time I'm there.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Brown Toner...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I diluted 1oz into a 1L of water.
    That's bottle instructions and you can certainly do that. There was a pretty long thread here about using the stuff where we discussed it. I use 1/8th oz per quart of water but I often want a subtle tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Brown Toner...

Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    My understanding is the Kodak version is gone or going away. I recently got some "Legacy" stuff from Freestyle which is purportedly equivalent , but haven't had occasion to try it yet.
    Last I looked Kodak was available but you had to buy a gallon for something like $300. That may be gone too, I don't know, but I use the Legacy Pro and it works fine. I believe there are other equivalents too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another safer alternative is to use warmtone paper in a warmtone developer like Ilford Warmtone. It won't get you as profound a brown as brown toner, but you don't have to work with it under a fume hood either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, had I known you were interested we could have toned as well. I have a few bottles here.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Another safer alternative is to use warmtone paper in a warmtone developer like Ilford Warmtone. It won't get you as profound a brown as brown toner, but you don't have to work with it under a fume hood either.
    I tried just that and it's nowhere near as toned looking as I had hoped. Also, I couldn't seem to get a true black either. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it was fresh paper and fresh chemistry.

The brown toner felt a lot more controllable and I was able to get the midtones/highlights just ride and retained true black through and through.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak Brown Toner...

I use reasonable precautions by toning in the open part of my basement with a door open not in my much smaller darkroom but certainly not a fume hood. I ain't dead yet. Be mindful but there's no reason to be afraid of it, just use reasonable care.

I print on Ilford MGWT FB developed in Ilford WT developer when I intend a warm image and then tone. It certainly isn't even similar without toning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, stuff FreeStyle sells under their house brand is a copy of Kodak Brown Toner. I do all my toning in garage with door open. Not only do I not need to worry about the fume but also if I spill it, I can just hose it down....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin