Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,271   Online: 819

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm Film Canisters

No exactly a 'film' question, but does anyone know why some canisters are air tight (Fugi Color) and some are not (Kodak TMax) ?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know they are all airtight, unless the lids are somehow too loose to fit snugly.

Fuji uses the same type of canister for all its films (lid colour may vary, and some films seem to have beige opaque canisters, but they are all of the same design). Kodak uses the same canister for all its films as well.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

DF

Do they need to be airtight? Should film be put back into airtight cannisters after they've been shot with?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DF View Post
    Do they need to be airtight? Should film be put back into airtight cannisters after they've been shot with?
    If you refrigerate them or freeze them after shooting (due to delayed processing), yes, they should be in airtight containers. Otherwise, airtightness isn't important but the canisters provide physical protection to the film cartridge, which is never a bad thing.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    As far as I know they are all airtight, unless the lids are somehow too loose to fit snugly.

Fuji uses the same type of canister for all its films (lid colour may vary, and some films seem to have beige opaque canisters, but they are all of the same design). Kodak uses the same canister for all its films as well.
    Re-checked and you are correct. My assumption, now false, was made as a result of an alternative use of empty canisters.. Alkaseltzer rockets with my grandsons. I first tried Kodak cans since I have a ton of them. It never built sufficient pressure and just oozed and bubbled out from under the lid. Then tried a Fugi canister I had and it worked great. The boys thought was pretty cool. So it turns out it's just a matter of how tightly the lids are secured. See, I said this wasn't exactly film related.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Kodak Cans in the last few years have a lid that was redesigned to make it easier to open. You can tell the newer design as there are little spike link ridges on theunderside of the lid. The Fuji cans have been the same design with a few minior cosmetic changes since at least the 1980 era. (the lids orignaily said "Fujifilm" in an oval, and the older ones don't have recyling symbols)

Fuji sems to have now standardised on translucent cans with translucent lids. They on one time used different coloured lids for different film lines. The 1600 ISO films also used to come in a beige or black can.

BTW, It is FUJI, not FUGI.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    BTW, It is FUJI, not FUGI.
    Thanks for catching my mental lapse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin