Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 640

Shooter
    Medium Format

TF-5 Fixer Crystals (does anyone have a problem?)

I have used quite a few fixers in the past, including TF-4. I have been using TF-5 lately and have noticed something new to me. I usually get crystals forming around the screw top of the fixer bottle no matter what type of fixer I use. When I unscrew the cap they get loose and pour with fixer into the film developing tank. It does not bother me as after I fix and WASH there are no crystals left on the film. I have just gotten a multi-reel Paterson tank since I am going larger batches of film. In the black Paterson tank it is easier to see the crystals (vs a Stainless Steel tank) but I have also found them on my film after drying. Has anyone seen this? I would expect any crystals to dissolve in the wash step. My wash is Ilford style with 5 inversions then a 4 minute stand time (pour off and refill), 10 inversions then a 4 minute stand time (pour off and refill), 15 inversions then a 4 minute stand time pour off and hang to dry after a 60 second photo-flow rinse.

I am NOT saying anything against TF-5 as it seems to be the perfect fixer on paper. I am just seeing if there is anyone else with this issue.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Kodak Rapid Fixer, and the white crystals precipitate around the edge of the bottle as well. Usually, I just clean them off before opening the cap, and try not to get any into the developing tank. Doesn't dissolve readily, but seems to do no harm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What happens is that a bit of fixer is left around the outside of the spout. On standing for a time the water eveaporates leaving crystals. Wipe the spout off with a moist cloth and rinse the cap each time before you close the bottle. This should stop the problem.

Be careful that none of the crystals gets of the floor or any liquid fixer. You don't want fixer dust floating around the darkroom. Should it settle on paper or film there will be a problem.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 04-04-2013 at 10:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin