Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,864   Online: 974

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

D76 mixing error

Hello everyone,

While mixing up some Kodak Hypo Clearing Agent, I realized that I did not follow the instructions properly when I mixed up my first batch of D76 developer.

I dissolved the D76 powder into 3L of water at 55 degrees Celsius, but forgot to add the other 0.8L afterward.

I guess I should have realized something was wrong when the mixed developer didn't come close to filling the second 2L accordion bottle, but at the time I just rationalized that the first accordion bottle must have stretched beyond it's nominal capacity.

Anyway, I used 650ml of the D76 to develop 2 rolls of 35mm and other than some slightly yellow spots (drying marks? residual chemical?) the negatives seem to have come out OK. (I'm hoping the HCA might help eliminate those spots.)

I'm about to develop my first B&W 120 roll and wanted to ask if I should add perhaps 0.63L of water to the remaining D76. (Since I've already used 0.65L/3L or about 17%, I'm thinking I should only add 83% of the 0.8L I was supposed to add initially.)

Thanks,
    Mike

P.S. Do I need to bring the D76 or the water up to 55 degrees Celsius if I do add some water?
    Last edited by memzilla; 04-05-2013 at 12:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The error is not terribly bad, and you can probably use the developer. It is about 26 percent stronger than intended, but that just means your negatives will be a bit more contrasty. If you normally dilute the developer 1+1 to make a working solution, just dilute it 1+1.25 instead, and you will have the same developer you're used to.

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's OK to dilute it 1:1, would it be OK to dilute it just enough to bring it down to stock solution strength?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    I believe I'd throw it out and start over.
    +1. Why take the chance?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format

D76 mixing error

Just dilute it with room temp water. The initial hotter water was to help the chemicals dissolve. If its all dissolved you are good to go.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

I think I'm going to give Newt_on_Swings' recommendation a try.

I'm going to empty the two accordion bottles of D76 into a bucket, then add 0.63L of water at 20 degrees Celcius, stir it, then pour it back into the accordion bottles.

None of my local sources of photo supplies have any developer in stock (and it took a couple of weeks to get the HCA), and I'm concerned that diluting 1:1 will give me coarser grain.

I'll report back with the results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by memzilla View Post
    None of my local sources of photo supplies have any developer in stock (and it took a couple of weeks to get the HCA), and I'm concerned that diluting 1:1 will give me coarser grain.
    It does, but it also gives you greater sharpness and more consistency (since you use it once and discard it). You dilute just before use, and only as much as you need from the undiluted stock solution.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes 1:1 is a good way to use d76, you dilute right before use, which is the way i commonly use it. But if developer is hard to come by where you are, you can get more rolls out of it by reusing stock solution. Just remember to burp your accordion bottle of all air, and keep track of the date mixed, and the number of rolls through it so far. You need to compensate with extra time the closer the developer comes to exhaustion. Kodak states 16 36exp rolls per gallon of d76 as max.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j78/j78.pdf

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by memzilla View Post
    P.S. Do I need to bring the D76 or the water up to 55 degrees Celsius if I do add some water?
    Why would you want to do that? You dilute it to 1+1 at room temperature anyway. And the infographics on the package shows you can use tap water to make the final stock solution http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3447Vvu45O.../s1600/D76.jpg

Actually... I wonder why one shouldn't use the final amount of water from the beginning?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    But if developer is hard to come by where you are, you can get more rolls out of it by reusing stock solution. Just remember to burp your accordion bottle of all air, and keep track of the date mixed, and the number of rolls through it so far. You need to compensate with extra time the closer the developer comes to exhaustion. Kodak states 16 36exp rolls per gallon of d76 as max.

That's interesting. I can do 25 rolls of 135-36 in D-76 diluted 1;1 (3.8 litres divided by 150 mL of stock solution per roll). Some say you need more than 150 mL per roll but I've never found it to be the case.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin