Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,244   Online: 691

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Used Sodium Thiosulfate disposal

And don't dump ANYTHING down a storm drain - unlike your drain that generally bypasses all treatment.

Shooter
    35mm
    There seem to be two views here. It doesn't matter which is actually correct - the laws in some places will close you down and fine you for putting anything (almost) except detergent and toilet-waste down the drain. On the other hand, you will not receive a free darkroom or a cash sum if you go to court and prove the rules are not scientifically correct. It is not about the science.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Used Sodium Thiosulfate disposal

Totally agree Martin - but people get worked up about silver ion even where there is no regulatory need to. There ARE a few things used in black and white darkrooms that are worth being very careful with even in the absence of regulations - many toners, for one category - but silver ion isn't one of them.

Granted the OP lives in CA where it is almost certainly more like you describe than not, maybe worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Fixer is not cyanide nor machine shop solvent. Of course comply with local laws. But you probably dump worse things than fixer down your drain all the time, previously stored right under the sink.
    roger

if you read what i said, i didn't say they were the same ... i said the thinking was the same.

what i did say was that i was amazed that people would suggest it was OK to pour the stuff down the drain.
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-08-2013 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Folks, I didn't ask for advice about disposal. I don't want to hash through why or how I decided to take it to the waste disposal site. That decision has been made and I'm not pouring the stuff into my septic tank, thanks anyway.

I want to know if it is okay to mix used sodium thiosulfate with used acidic ammonium thiosulfate while awaiting disposal. It is a chemistry question: will I produce sulfur dioxide or is it fine?

Sorry... didn't mean to touch off a firestorm of disposal opinions.. I actually thought it was a simple question! I'll try to ignore the stereotyping based on where I live. Wow.

Ned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Folks, I didn't ask for advice about disposal. I don't want to hash through why or how I decided to take it to the waste disposal site. That decision has been made and I'm not pouring the stuff into my septic tank, thanks anyway.

I want to know if it is okay to mix used sodium thiosulfate with used acidic ammonium thiosulfate while awaiting disposal. It is a chemistry question: will I produce sulfur dioxide or is it fine?

Sorry... didn't mean to touch off a firestorm of disposal opinions.. I actually thought it was a simple question! I'll try to ignore the stereotyping based on where I live. Wow.

Ned
    Indeed, let's keep the politics out of it, and if anyone can answer the question to keep the thread on topic, that would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I thought I did , all fixes can be lumped into our silver recovery unit, including blfx.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mix them, let the water evaporate and dispose of the remainder with the normal refuse. Everyone's happy. (Unless you can get the silver back, in which case do that obviously).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob,

Yes you did, thank you. I missed the signal for the noise! So the "blix" and rapid fix and regular fix all go together into the same unit, with no problems. Just what I wanted to know. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I thought I did , all fixes can be lumped into our silver recovery unit, including blfx.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes , I have been doing this for over thirty five years now. All labs I worked at before I started my company had these programs in place.

Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    Bob,

Yes you did, thank you. I missed the signal for the noise! So the "blix" and rapid fix and regular fix all go together into the same unit, with no problems. Just what I wanted to know. Cheers!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin