Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,223   Online: 925

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi noacronym

you changed your nickname!

if you get a subscription
    you can rant all you like in the soapbox

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Used Sodium Thiosulfate disposal

Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    Don't wanna rant. I changed it because the old name became synonymous with that sort of thing, IMO. So I got rid of anything Yahoo news was hammering me with, and came back on with a better attitude. The Yahoo mail page I had splattered your eyes with total lunacy. I can get that sort of thing from my wingding step sister. Hey--just laugh. And since you're an advertiser, I'll consider myself duly advised.
    I guess my whole point is--enjoy your photography. Don't get too tied up in The Agenda to demonize yourself or the suppliers of these materials to become activists believing you're "destroying the earth". You're not, because you can't. This old world has miraculous ways of healing itself, and providing more.
    You seem to be doing nothing BUT ranting... Haha

You're worse than me! And that's saying something

*Now back to your regularly scheduled forum*

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Thanks Stone. Good to hear a laugh. These eco-alarmists have made for a very tension-filled discourse. It's a militant religion. And good will and humor, geniality; is met with venom and yelling. They'll tear apart their own families over it. And it's so intellectually devoid. OK. enough. Enjoy the photography and damn the torpedoes.
    My grandfather started and owned a Dry Cleaners for 40 years.

He dumped the used perc (perchlorethylene) behind the business for 40 years before he sold it, but still owned the property, went to sell the property only to discover the perk was now considered EPA's most wanted list of bad chemicals. At the time he started his business, the world had no idea that Perc was "bad for the environment" and yes we spent over 10 years and spent over $1,000,000 to clean it up. It's still not done but we've been released to a private cleanup company and out from under the government thumb.

But ya know what, it IS bad stuff, and back then when we had it, we didn't know.

What I encourage you to do is talk to John (Janannana [i can never remember how to spell his handle] on here) and learn about the dangers of all this stuff both for you and your family, and you might change your tune about the government being silly with its environmental laws.

Just because we got used to doing something stupid our whole lives (like pouring fixer down the drain) doesn't mean we have to continue just because we got used to being lazy.

Most towns will gladly take it from you, it's usually part of the taxes you pay, so take advantage of it.

Or talk to John about his silver recovery, you could actually make a few bucks off of it

Just my opinion, not a left wing but, just a concerned human.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shooting film is way more fun than shooting possums stealing the kitten's food. Cameras don't kick, and it's way more fun.
    Oh, my! You are new here. There are many threads here on the comparative kick of different cameras. My Rollei is soft, quiet and efficient - like a sniper, while my GS-1 kicks like a shotgun and is loud enough to startle wildlife in the woods.

It's all in fun my friend.

Tom
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My life is different, thank God. All I have to do is not be stupid and poison my own well or sterilize the septic tank. So my gallon a year of fixer gets poured out on some tree stump I want to kill. Most likely a sweet gum. I like being an ex-city boy. Wish these big farm businesses would quit bulldozing 150 year old perfectly good barns. I'm going to run out of things to shoot. Shooting film is way more fun than shooting possums stealing the kitten's food. Cameras don't kick, and it's way more fun.
    if you are worried about your well ...
    they say all roads lead to rome ..
    the tree stump works like a wick leading down to the water ..

i don't like possums either, they is one ugly beast ..
    my graflex slr is pretty silent, at least when you remove the lens cap
    otherwise it makes a heck of a racket ..
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

My life is different, thank God. All I have to do is not be stupid and poison my own well or sterilize the septic tank. So my gallon a year of fixer gets poured out on some tree stump I want to kill. Most likely a sweet gum. I like being an ex-city boy. Wish these big farm businesses would quit bulldozing 150 year old perfectly good barns. I'm going to run out of things to shoot. Shooting film is way more fun than shooting possums stealing the kitten's food. Cameras don't kick, and it's way more fun.
    Are you serious?

You honestly pour it into the ground? I guess my story about my grandfather didn't really get heard... PLEASE consider driving down to your local dump and giving them the fixer... I mean, just pour it into a milk bottle and drive it over, it's not too hard and really terrible for the environment (and your well) to pour it into the ground... Please... For us all...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    The problem is not so much the thiosulfate but the silver. It's a biocide and will have a negative effect on the bacterial populations in your sewage processing plant, reducing its capacity to ferment and make safe the raw sewage. The magnitude of the effect depends on how big the plant is - a gallon of fixer might be nothing or it might significantly damage the plant. If you have a septic tank, a gallon of used fixer will be a serious problem for you...
    Those small amounts of silver would not pose any problem to any treatment plant for a community bigger than a hamlet (that term actually has a legal definition in New Mexico), unless there was an awful large amount of silver laden effluent. For septic tank users, silver recovery using steel wool is a simple expedient. I once almost (but not quite) shut down a small community waste treatment plant when I disposed of several pounds of outdated antibiotics from hospital supplies. Nobody thought of the effect on the waste treatment system. Fortunately, both the civil engineer and the bioenvironmental engineer for the plant were good friends. The bioenvironmental engineer told me about problems with decreased activity, and I told him about the disposal. We worked things out. For a moderate sized city, that amount of potent antibiotics would not have made any difference at all, but for this small community plant, it did. The point is that it takes a fair amount of antibacterial action to interfere with a waste treatment plant. But what goes down the drain adds up. That's why the waste treatment people put limits, usually based on total sewage volume from your facility, on what you can dump. The problem comes when politicians start making rules for things they do not understand.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only reason you can pour it is because the stuff is almost completely water. Let the water evaporate - end of problem, as the milligrams of solid matter will be fine in the normal refuse collection. I have already suggested that in this thread.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    The only reason you can pour it is because the stuff is almost completely water. Let the water evaporate - end of problem, as the milligrams of solid matter will be fine in the normal refuse collection. I have already suggested that in this thread.
    Aren't the fumes from fixer pretty toxic? How do you let it evaporate and not die? Lol

~Stone

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_thiosulfate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiosulfate

Based on what I read at the above links, there should be no problem mixing them until you can dump them. I would recommend a trial with a small amount of each in a plastic bottle.

As you can see, Ammonium thiosulfate is basically non-toxic, and can even be used as fertilizer. Sodium thiosulfate is even used in medicine, as a disinfectant and chelating agent, and is even used in table salt. Even though the laws may discourage dumping, it is safer than many other things we put into the ground.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin