Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,592   Online: 1111

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pyro toxicity?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes
    And how do we know Weston's Parkinson's was not from the Amidol? (Just trying to start an new, unsubstantiated rumour.)
    Actually, I thought philandering caused Parkinson's.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker
    Well, there you go. I guess that question is solved!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rbarker

I'm gonna go out this weekend and pull all them suckers up from my garden. I told her not to plant them.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I mix the pyro powder outside and wear gloves and a apron when developing with PMK. I like Rodinal very much but HP5+ and FP4+ negs developed in PMK have significantly less grain with gradation every bit as good as the one obtained with Rodinal.

I produce unsharp masks from negs developed in PMK and the effects are just as good as with masks produced from negs developed in Rodinal. Howard Bond's procedure for developing masks (an excellent one indeed) is tricky with pyro-developed negs because the standard densitometer does not take into account the stain. I use a "color" densitormeter for that. Instead of trying to determine sandwich densities, I simply use the split-grade technique to print those sandwiches.

If I was did contact printing, exclusively, I would probably use Rodinal exclusively (with HP5 and FP4). Mixing the powders is not fun; having two solutions (A,B) to contend with and, most importantly, the issue of cleaning right away .... pyro stains like there is no tomorrow! For ample enlargements, I think PMK would do a better job.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    I can say unequivically that if you get a pyro based developer on your hands they will get blackened immediately especially with pyro in a viscous substance such as TEA.

I can retort unequivically and with first hand knowledge that pyro based developers do NOT stain your fingernails black. My fingernails are a lovely light brown hue that you wouldn't even notice. From time to time my fingernails are a near black purple color from using amidol in print developement. I would not recommend that anyone soak their hands in Pyro but neither would I recommend soaking their hands in anything with metol.

Pyro is just not as bad as its reputation. Use common sense, keep it away from children and enjoy its great qualities.

P.S. for those wanting proof that Mr. Weston's parkinson's disease was not related to pyro; would you care to offer proof that it wasn't the result of having walked in iceplant? Equally rediculous.
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    . . . for those wanting proof that Mr. Weston's parkinson's disease was not related to pyro; would you care to offer proof that it wasn't the result of having walked in iceplant? Equally rediculous.
    You mean the guy was an iceplantaphobe, too? Gosh, now I have no respect for him at all!
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    From time to time my fingernails are a near black purple color from using amidol in print developement.
    That's not a very healthy thing to do, either. While black fingernails may be the badge of a "real" photographer, nitrile gloves probably represent the better part of valor. Certainly for what they cost, which is virtually nothing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin