Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,901   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or

+43° 11' 11.24", -77° 40' 19.57"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Kodak Canada's facility in Mt Dennis in Toronto is flattened.

The town I grew up in has the factory my dad used to manage sitting as an idle facility, holding a few spare parts as a warehouse to service the old line of gear they once made there.

The foundry facility next door, where my uncle sold castings for was demolished last year.

The engineering office still stands, and is staffed. Parts fabrication is outsourced around the world about 16 years ago.

Sorry that this is the face of progress. I guess it is while oil is still relatively cheap, so where soemthing is made, like a mine car, or sewage treatment sedimetation aeratorr, or pulp and paper process filter, is immaterial, let alone consumer devices like ipods.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Outside of the office building where I'm working, a building was recently demolished. It was called the King Cat, and it was struggling to survive. One screen, showing an assortment of old and odd films. And then progress came.

Progress comes for many things, including Kodak. Unfortunately, Kodak never was on the ball when it comes to reacting to change.

Here's something that Kodak could do: long term data archival services. Using what material? Film, of course. Kodak, back in the 1960s, built a write-once digital data storage machine for the CIA. (Wired magazine might have the article, I don't remember.) There's all kinds of Government regulations that mandate that corporate data must be accessible for X decades. Kodak could run a long-term storage service, where that data would be written to film and be put in cold storage. That would be an absolute cash cow.

But instead Kodak always has this Alfred E. Neuman-esque "What, me worry?" attitude. Oh, well.
    couldn't agree with you more !
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does any one know if Kodak is Salvaging any of their coating machines? (unlike Polaroid) After-all, we know why they dismantle unused buildings - to avoid paying property taxes. That's fair.
    Last edited by Andre Noble; 04-10-2013 at 11:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Andre Noble, Beverly Hills California http://andrenoble.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre Noble View Post
    Does any one know if Kodak is Salvaging any of their coating machines? (unlike Polaroid) After-all, we know why they dismantle unused buildings - to avoid paying property taxes. That's fair.
    Having read Robert Shanebrook's book "Making Kodak Film" (available on here, and a recommended read ), it seems that Kodak's main machinery is/was very large, and almost "built-in" to the buildings and foundations for stability. Can't see that anything of any size could be salvaged, or kept in good condition for future re-use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last big building demolition led to a big surplus going to local surplus dealers here in Rochester. They used to sell to the public but no longer do that. I got some good stuff there not to long back. Not now!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the building was not the machine. The building was there for isolating the machine from vibration and from changes in temperature and humidity. The building was an anchor.

Long dimly lit corridors nearly a mile long with 3 stories of machine next to you. Air rushing through vents making a constant soft hiss of air. Outside that room, rows of tanks with jackets, and lots of pipers and pumps running to the coating machine in the next room.

Guys in white suits and special shoes stalking up and down these corridors. Ladders to the tops of the tanks, with metal platforms around them.

Lots of fun doing these things, knowing that we were making something that was liked by you guys.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coating machines are surprisingly quiet except for the rush of air and film (or paper). There is also the background pump noise from the other room and the rumble of some odds and ends running as well.

If you were in the bombardment room you would hear the electrostatic discharge as a high pitched hiss and you would smell ozone and see the bright bluish UV (if the hood is off).

Not noisy at all IMHO.

And there are a lot of people on this earth far better than I am.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    <<sigh>>
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ...this is the face of progress...
    Definitely not, despite common usage of that word in this context. Change, yes. Progress, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    ...where soemthing is made...is immaterial...
    Again, definitely not. Leaving aside matters of employment, transportation, environmental impact, etc., one of the most material things place of manufacture influences is materials.

The vast preponderance of "stuff" we buy today, at least in North America, comes from China. A large portion of that, despite any specifications purchasers may impose, is made of materials that are at best unknown and at worst toxic. Try to find Chinese textiles that don't reek. Try to find plastics sourced there without similar issues. Examples include camera bellows and Toyo film holders.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin