Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,472   Online: 968

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was all custom built from SS or Titanium. Tolerances were adjusted by laser.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by noacronym View Post
    To me, Kodak and Kodak Park, Rochester, New York are nearly wondrous places in some way; some manner of regard. I've never been up there, never will be most likely, and wouldn't want to go in another way. I'm not from up there. Some people belong where they came from and live, so here is where I stay. All that said in the spirit of well-wishing for the company's future. I know it's a horribly cold place to live a life, but you folks sure know how to set a production standard. I hope you don't turn into some sort of software company, or some worthless digital sh-- like that. You do what you do. I highly suggest advertising on the benefits of Kodak Film for permanence. Permanence is the whole point of any photography. A Kodak B&W print properly washed can last a thousand years. Who knows which one of us might be somebody recorded in history for some deed? A Kodak B&W will still bear the testament of perfect recording in several thousand years. That's a great thing. Pretty wild, when you think about it. Somebody needs to get busy. That's about enough of my free job worrying about it. Nowhere herein has been my intent to pursue or force a political view. Somebody up there needs to do something.
    Because I believe in the lasting quality of analog images on paper I have begun to photograph lots of mundane sights. Perhaps someday they'll be digitized and available on shorpy.com or someplace like that. I know, I know, one can always keep backing up their digital images to the latest and greatest but do they do it? How many phones are lost with 'everything' nowhere but on that phone?

When asked I tell people (because they always expect an answer) I use film not because my images are important to my kid but because they'll be important to my great grand-kids. All I get in return is a blank expression.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Will they cry when the huge data centers of Google and Amazon are eventually dismantled?

Shooter
    127 Format
    No one cried when the Whirlpool washing machine factory in Iowa was destroyed.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I got the south Pacific ocean, between New Zealand and Chile. Did they go that far underwater?
    Sorry, haven't checked back here for a while but the coords are correct. Try typing it exactly like this: 37 43 45.85 S 144 58 54.65 E Cheers OzJohn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    If you want to see what's left of a once thriving Kodak plant

This used to be Kodak Australasia in Melbourne and the attached image is an aerial of it in it's heyday. No doubt Toronto and other cities have a similar story and it happened in these places some years ago. OzJohnAttachment 67028
    How old is that photo?

Kodak is long gone in Melbourne. So is Agfa, who's warehouse/factory was nearly as big in Nunawading...

Ilfords factory has gone too - although the one I knew in Notting Hill was only a fraction of the size of the above 2 sites...

It's called progress....some companies have kept things going for too long without modernizing. And Kodak was one of them.

I remember going out to the Kodak factory in Coburg in the 80's to use one of their machines because our Kodak machine (I think it was out "new" printer) had broken down, and I was given a quick tour around the place. So many of the machines were literally held together with gaffer tape, wire, and no doubt some prayers.....I'm not kidding - they told me the film processing machine for Kodachrome hadn't been shut down for years, because they were worried if they did they would never get it back up and running again.

15 years later I spoke with a guy I knew who was doing some electrical work for Kodak in Coburg, and from what he told me things hadn't changed......

Who knows - if these companies had moved their manufacturing plants into newer, smaller premesis with more efficient production machinery then maybe they wouldn't have been effected so much by the downturn in film sales & processing.
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is sad indeed. I haven't been down there in a long time. The last time I saw the groungs where agfa was established there was wild grown piece of earth with a inconspicuous sign saying Agfa used to be there. It seems nobody really cares.
    There are also a lot of abandoned buildings where there used to be a lot of industry and people working. To tell the truth I am glad I don't need to work in one of these old factories.
    Lets wait another 50 years or more and you start seeing empty factories in China, google, apple etc may be a memory. With the next production sights poping up in Africa or on the moon.
    Another 50 years they will start poping up in Europe and ( the new old world ) America.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJohn View Post
    Sorry, haven't checked back here for a while but the coords are correct. Try typing it exactly like this: 37 43 45.85 S 144 58 54.65 E Cheers OzJohn
    That did the trick! Thanks!

... EEK! EEK! ...

Nice street names, but absolutely no redevelopment!

Oh, as for data centers, those get changed out regularly. It's been the fad for a while to simply shove a bunch of boxes in a shipping container with jacks on the outside, and then throw everything into a big warehouse. Cable it up, use it for a while, change it out. I have no idea what happens to all of those "obsolete" computers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I fail to see that this event is meaningful. Kodak moved its still film coating to a NEW MODERN FACILITY. This is a much more meaningful event.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jerry;

But now there is no backup smaller machine assembly, nor any room for downsizing production anymore. It is gone. All they have is one big high-speed machine.

PE

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin