Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,758   Online: 1252

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Sad to hear this news. This morning I read on the newspaper an article about archiving motion picture and it assumed that in 2015 it would be all gone (film). Being a general newspaper one doesn't expect total information yet it is sad to see they are forcing all cinemas to go digital (which according to many articles is very difficult for small theaters). No choice at all, digital or die.
    Last time I went to the theater they even put some mobile phone ads... It seems youtube (well, it is, with a huge screen at 4K).

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jerry;

But now there is no backup smaller machine assembly, nor any room for downsizing production anymore. It is gone. All they have is one big high-speed machine.

PE
    I was thinking about this too. Bldg 38 seems huge for what the market is now, so I get they got rid of the building and the coating machine too... If they ever need to downsize, there will be no way.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Prest_400 View Post
    I was thinking about this too. Bldg 38 seems huge for what the market is now, so I get they got rid of the building and the coating machine too... If they ever need to downsize, there will be no way.
    I assume that the building they are Junking is the one where the second coating line that is mentioned in "Making Kodak Film" was located. Were there other coating lines in that location? The Book says that in some ways the backup line was even more up to date?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jerry;

But now there is no backup smaller machine assembly, nor any room for downsizing production anymore. It is gone. All they have is one big high-speed machine.

PE
    Well, it's been a long time now since the honchos at Kodak were accused of making well thought out decisions...
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jerry;

PE
    Didn't know that. I thought the new machine was more flexible in its output.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Didn't know that. I thought the new machine was more flexible in its output.
    Oh, it is, it is. You just shut it down for a few days or weeks and production goes down to meet demand!

And if it breaks down, then you just fix it and run more often to catch up!

See? Perfectly flexible.

Oh well, what is done is done. They may have some stuff in mothballs and the KRL machines can make up to 4x5s or if J9 is still there, they can make 11x14s. I didn't see any big cranes near B59, nor did I see a hole in the side of the building so if J9 is gone, it went in pieces or was just mothballed.... J9 was the only KRL machine capable of curtain coating at high speed IIRC.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kodak dismatling an unused film coating building

Oh, it is, it is. You just shut it down for a few days or weeks and production goes down to meet demand!

And if it breaks down, then you just fix it and run more often to catch up!

See? Perfectly flexible.

Oh well, what is done is done. They may have some stuff in mothballs and the KRL machines can make up to 4x5s or if J9 is still there, they can make 11x14s. I didn't see any big cranes near B59, nor did I see a hole in the side of the building so if J9 is gone, it went in pieces or was just mothballed.... J9 was the only KRL machine capable of curtain coating at high speed IIRC.

PE
    I thought the new machine only had to run for one 24 hour period a year to meet demand?

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Well, it's been a long time now since the honchos at Kodak were accused of making well thought out decisions...
    Then did they ever make well thought out decisions? Haha

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Then did they ever make well thought out decisions? Haha

~Stone

I think, young man, you need to know a bit more history before you say things like that.

There is a reason that they were once one of the most successful companies in the world.

And one of the best places to work, as well.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    How old is that photo?

Kodak is long gone in Melbourne. So is Agfa, who's warehouse/factory was nearly as big in Nunawading...

Ilfords factory has gone too
    Pretty old I'd say maybe sixties - it is from the Museum Victoria website which is the repository of a lot of interesting stuff from Kodak Australasia but like all museums it will probably take a decade or two for everything to be catalogued. I'm not a Victorian but I did visit Kodak and Ilford some years ago but not Agfa. I knew they had a processing lab at Nunawading but did not know they actually manufactured anything in Australia. OzJohn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I think, young man, you need to know a bit more history before you say things like that.

There is a reason that they were once one of the most successful companies in the world.

And one of the best places to work, as well.
    You mean because they were the ONLY film company ... Haha

You're right of course, but they did do a lot of things like GE ... Buy already researched things proven successful (like Kodachrome). That certainly still works to an extent, perhaps they should have done more of that and when film sales suddenly dropped, they should have sold that off entirely.

In an ironic sense, sticking WITH their photographer client base is what actually hurt them long term.

Well I don't know a lot about Kodak, you're certainly right about that.

I also want to read that Kodak history book that the APUGer wrote but I don't want to buy/own it, maybe we can start a share/pass along and all learn more

~Stone

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin