Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,931   Online: 990

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Kodak dismatling an unused film coating building

This marks a sad milepost for those that love film. Kodak is dismantling Building 29 that housed multiple photographic film coating machines that at one time made almost every type of Kodak color and black-and-white film. Motion picture print film was made in the building as recently as 2011. Sadly I am not aware of any photographs of the equipment in the building. Kodak’s only film quality production coating machine will be near-by in Kodak Rochester’s Building 38. I am glad that I was able to thoroughly document the Building 38 coating machine in my book, Making Kodak Film. There is a link on APUG.

You can see from the photographs that there are large holes in the side of Building 29 for installing equipment that are now used for tossing the scrap to the ground. Debris is sorted into piles near the building.

The bad news is that the volume has declined so that the machines are no longer needed. The good news is that Kodak still has a film coating machine. The films made today are the best ever.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B29_130408scrap.jpg   B29_130408.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Enough to make me sit down and cry like a baby. I will never forget opening those plastic boxes of Kodachromes if I live to be 100. Remember the smell that wafted out when you lifted the little lid?
    Sad sad day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can we salvage anything for GEH?

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Outside of the office building where I'm working, a building was recently demolished. It was called the King Cat, and it was struggling to survive. One screen, showing an assortment of old and odd films. And then progress came.

Progress comes for many things, including Kodak. Unfortunately, Kodak never was on the ball when it comes to reacting to change.

Here's something that Kodak could do: long term data archival services. Using what material? Film, of course. Kodak, back in the 1960s, built a write-once digital data storage machine for the CIA. (Wired magazine might have the article, I don't remember.) There's all kinds of Government regulations that mandate that corporate data must be accessible for X decades. Kodak could run a long-term storage service, where that data would be written to film and be put in cold storage. That would be an absolute cash cow.

But instead Kodak always has this Alfred E. Neuman-esque "What, me worry?" attitude. Oh, well.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

I saw so many ruins out of the photochemical industry, I guess I won't be touched anymore.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Don't worry guys, they're making room for a production facility for a brand new product; Kodadigit. Kodak will become a world leader in digit production. All those ones and zeros have to come from somewhere... :-D

San fairy ann,
    kevs
    Last edited by kevs; 04-09-2013 at 04:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hdeyong View Post
    Enough to make me sit down and cry like a baby. I will never forget opening those plastic boxes of Kodachromes if I live to be 100. Remember the smell that wafted out when you lifted the little lid?
    Sad sad day.
    +1. :-(
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Do you think, maybe 30-40 years from now, people who are teenagers today will be lamenting the demolition of one of the last Apple buildings? They'll be talking fondly about their first iPhone or iPod and lamenting how after Steve Jobs died the company was never the same and eventually could not change with the times....

Now I know the analogy is weak, Apple buildings are not where such things are made and iPhones and iPods are not film, but I was just thinking. Funny there was a time when Kodak was so strong, their products so profitable, sales so good, that something like this was never envisioned...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Kodak was still succesful today, wouldn`t they possible dismantle the builiding anyway.
    Remember it was used to make film.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Perez' parachute just got a little more golden.
    - Bill Lynch

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin