Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,529   Online: 1001

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by K-G View Post
    ...Don't forget that ILFORD GALERIE is also available in grades two and three. If you have a negative with normal contrast that doesn't require split grade printing, GALERIE beats all the rest...
    Yes, ILFOBROM GALERIE FB was a major omission from Scott's list. I find it to be the best paper available today. It can be warm or neutral depending on developer. It has a surface that's just glossy enough for solid blacks but not so shiny as to make viewing light placement critical.

With one's process under control, it's amazing how little need there is for paper softer than grade 2 or harder than grade 3. Simon Galley refers to GALERIE as Ilford's premium product. I agree and could be happy using nothing but.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You might try Ilford Multigrade IV developed 1/3 the time in Photographer's Formulary TD-32 and 2/3 in Dektol. It should add just a little warmth to the otherwise neutral tonality. I used to do that with Selectol but haven't since it was discontinued. This thread was a good reminder --- I'm going to order some now.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You could always try to master the paint on silver emulsions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I wanted to deal with a hand-coated emulsion, I'd just stick to alt processes. For the purposes of this type of photography, I want the finish, speed, and ease-of-use that a factory-produced enlarging paper can provide.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like Arista Private Reserve more than the Edu.ultra. Have not used the glossy surface yet though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    .............. For the purposes of this type of photography, I want the finish, speed, and ease-of-use that a factory-produced enlarging paper can provide.
    I'm a big fan of Fomabrom 123 (semi matt) and Fomabrom 111 (glossy) for everyday use. If I were printing for an exhibition I would consider others. But for portfolio and display these two papers offer wonderful capabilities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The substrate will most likely eliminate this for you, but I really like the Ilford MGIV Cooltone RC.

If you combine it with toning, it is wonderfully flexible.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see a lot of discussion on who makes the Freestyle house brand films, but nothing on who makes the papers and whether they are the same as the branded offerings.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I see a lot of discussion on who makes the Freestyle house brand films, but nothing on who makes the papers and whether they are the same as the branded offerings.
    A "not so wild" guess would be Foma? Not many manufactures to choose from since Ilford says they won't slap another label on their Ilford brand products and Kodak paper is "no more".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford will manufacture house brand paper for retailers - the retailer just has to contract for their own, custom "recipe".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin