Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,980   Online: 845

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ilford will manufacture house brand paper for retailers - the retailer just has to contract for their own, custom "recipe".
    You are right, but I don't think Freestyle would go that route when they already buy Foma film for the Arista EDU series. To be honest I have no concrete proof. What I don't like about buying Freestyle film is that you get used to a certain film/emulsion and Freestyle switches film/supplier or drops it. I really wish they or somebody, would leak out the real manufacture so a person would know. You'd still buy from them since that film with their name would likely be cheaper, but the original manufacture might not like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ilford will manufacture house brand paper for retailers - the retailer just has to contract for their own, custom "recipe".
    Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember one private label film being described as Ilford FP4 - after FP4+ came out. The gist of it was that Ilford (this would have been before Harmon) was willing to allow their film to be private labeled, but not their "latest and greatest".

I don't know for sure that it's true, but it does make sense when you think of it. Keeps the manufacturing lines going, uses tried and true materials and process, but doesn't directly compete with their current offering.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember one private label film being described as Ilford FP4 - after FP4+ came out. The gist of it was that Ilford (this would have been before Harmon) was willing to allow their film to be private labeled, but not their "latest and greatest".

I don't know for sure that it's true, but it does make sense when you think of it. Keeps the manufacturing lines going, uses tried and true materials and process, but doesn't directly compete with their current offering.
    I can't believe Ilford would sell a sub-standard film/paper even if it didn't have their name stamped on it. I bet their special recipe is still a darn good one. They probably call it "special recipe", but just leave out 1/100th of a gram of something so they can call it that. Who knows?????

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa! I wouldn't consider FP4 (non +) substandard - even after FP4+.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    Whoa! I wouldn't consider FP4 (non +) substandard - even after FP4+.
    Indeed not. I've recently reprinted my parents wedding photographs from the original (more than half a century old) FP3 negs, and even they were not bad at all! <--- that's my British-English for 'rather good'.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Wiegerink View Post
    You are right, but I don't think Freestyle would go that route when they already buy Foma film for the Arista EDU series. To be honest I have no concrete proof. What I don't like about buying Freestyle film is that you get used to a certain film/emulsion and Freestyle switches film/supplier or drops it. I really wish they or somebody, would leak out the real manufacture so a person would know. You'd still buy from them since that film with their name would likely be cheaper, but the original manufacture might not like that.
    Call Freestyle and ask. When I wanted to try the Arista.EDU Ultra and compare it to Fomapan 200, the Freestyle telephone rep told me not to - they were one and the same film. There was no hiding it - they just don't publicize it.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I've been away from silver gelatin printing for a while. I know the landscape has changed, alot, since I last did it. It wasn't something I was terribly worried about as I was off in alt process and large format la-la-land. I've rediscovered the joy of working with roll film in the guise of my Rolleiflex, and so I'm wanting to get back in to enlarging silver prints.
    Welcome back to simplicity.

The Rollei experience rocks. Simple! Deliberative! Classic! Super results!

I've noticed alt processes and fuzzy grunge-like images are popular. Perhaps the thinking is different helps sales. More like art. What photography did to painting digital is doing to silver printing.

I prefer flat drying, warm, not yellow, papers. WT keeps shadows open. Each paper has attributes. All Ilford's papers and especially Galerie are top notch. Not a question of what is best but the papers characteristics.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 04-13-2013 at 02:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Yes, ILFOBROM GALERIE FB was a major omission from Scott's list. I find it to be the best paper available today. It can be warm or neutral depending on developer. It has a surface that's just glossy enough for solid blacks but not so shiny as to make viewing light placement critical.

With one's process under control, it's amazing how little need there is for paper softer than grade 2 or harder than grade 3. Simon Galley refers to GALERIE as Ilford's premium product. I agree and could be happy using nothing but.
    I've been printing with Galerie lately and agree with the comment about paper surface. It has a nice finish and base color more pleasing than Adox. You can bend Galerie's image tone to the warm side of neutral by pulling the paper. Also there is limited contrast control with exposure. If you have two heads (dichro and condenser) you have more control. Whites are very clean. But, in some ways it's more difficult to use.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 04-13-2013 at 02:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    made some test prints with the fomabrom VC 111 glossy....yup Bruce Barnbaum is right about the paper...also might want to try the foma 542; a warmtone paper that rocks if you can get the tone right...takes loooong exposures under my light...but the results are stunning
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    Welcome back to simplicity.

The Rollei experience rocks. Simple! Deliberative! Classic! Super results!

I've noticed alt processes and fuzzy grunge-like images are popular. Perhaps the thinking is different helps sales. More like art. What photography did to painting digital is doing to silver printing.

I prefer flat drying, warm, not yellow, papers. WT keeps shadows open. Each paper has attributes. All Ilford's papers and especially Galerie are top notch. Not a question of what is best but the papers characteristics.
    Do note- I'm not walking away from alt process printing. That will always be there. Especially when working from large/ultra-large format negatives. But I've been doing a lot of work with the Rollei that I'd like to print myself, ergo the desire to get back into silver gelatin enlarging.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin