Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,091   Online: 969

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Current crop of silver gelatin enlarging papers - preferences?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I've been printing with Galerie lately and agree with the comment about paper surface. It has a nice finish and base color more pleasing than Adox. You can bend Galerie's image tone to the warm side of neutral by pulling the paper. Also there is limited contrast control with exposure. If you have two heads (dichro and condenser) you have more control. Whites are very clean. But, in some ways it's more difficult to use.
    While condenser and diffusion sources certainly produce different levels of contrast that would be the hard way to go about it. The usual way of varying contrast with graded papers is with divided development. You have a tray of a relatively contrasty print developer, say Dektol or Bromophen, maybe a little stronger than usual dilution, and a tray of soft developer like Selectol-Soft - Freestyle sells an equivalent of Sekectol-Soft. Then you divide development between the two to achieve different contrasts between grades. Both Barnbaum's book and Adams' The Print (and presumably others, I haven't really delved into my copy of Way Beyond Monochrome yet) go into this in more detail.

VC papers are more convenient and allow burning areas with different filters but it isn't too hard to get intermediate grade contrast from graded papers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    While condenser and diffusion sources certainly produce different levels of contrast that would be the hard way to go about it. The usual way of varying contrast with graded papers is with divided development. You have a tray of a relatively contrasty print developer, say Dektol or Bromophen, maybe a little stronger than usual dilution....
    My DR lacks the space for two developing trays. I often run a two tray fix line or single tray process using 11x14 tray or larger. After I have a working print 1/2 grade tweaks can be accomplished using 130 vs LPD, pulling the print or deciding to tone or not to. If I had space, I would likely use LPD and 120.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	631.6 KB 
ID:	67284
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 04-15-2013 at 01:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well if you lack space for two trays of developer you certainly lack space for two enlargers.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I use a LPL 670 for MF. The enlarger is modular. I infrequently change heads on the column if needing to adjust contrast.
    RJ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin