Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,622   Online: 988

Shooter
    35mm

Dektol freshly mixed but does not look how I remember

This is the second bag I mix of Dektol, I remember the first time being almost clear in color, but this time it looks dark amber, (like tee color altough I still see the bottom of the bowl). The bag was stored at 76F in A/C 'ed room. bought it in december 2012, freshly mixed tonight, the powder was white as expected and the expiration date on the bag is Sep 2015. I bought it from B&H so source is reliable. I mixed it at 100F . is it still ok ? or is it bad. ? why is it darker this time ?.

sorry if this thread seems a repeat, I found several of the same question but all usually refered to a bag that was expired or stored improperly or some other problem, all variables seem ok in my case.

thanks in advance,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was most likely a hole in the bag, and it has oxidized. This used to happen all the time with the older paper/foil packaging. This is why I no longer use Dektol, it happened too many times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had Dektol which was amber, but the powder always started a brownish color, when it happened (old stock). Never had it happen with fresh powder, or when the powder started white, though. The amber stuff I mixed worked fine, and I was able to match prints from prior sessions (using clear Dektol) with ease. Once diluted 1:2, it was easy to see the print in the developer.
    Could there be an issue with your water?
    Sorry I can't offer more info, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every time I've used oxidized Dektol, the powder has been noticeably discolored. Maybe there's a delay in the time it takes for oxidation to occur, and the powder to change color. Gerald or PE should be able to answer this for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure that you have used the correct amount of water to mix the Dektol?

If you haven't added all the necessary water this time, the colour might be different.

And Dektol packages come in two sizes - any chance you have used the mixing instructions for the smaller size to mix the larger size?

Finally, are you using something like well water or particularly hard water to mix the Dektol? Variations in water quality can have a dramatic effect.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I recall I had Dektol powder which looked fine going in but mixed up discolored. But it's been years and years since I mixed Dektol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Was all of the pwder white? Any possibility of a small portion of it being darker. I'm thinking about a small puncture in the bag with localized discoloration.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had it look like dark tea and work fine but this was usually after some usage, not right off a fresh mix.

I'd at least test it. Might be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used destilled water. I mixed the 1 gallon bag with 3 litres of water, dissolve, then fill with water to 3.8L

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've used a lot of Dektol and have had all the colors mentioned. Normal is clear to pale tan, like the color of pine wood. I get the impression that your bag was damaged, and either BH or Kodak would replace it for you. I have no problem with light tan and I've used dark tan Dektol before. I believe I saw the dark tan give me an off-white "tone" to my paper as a result, so I dump it out. But my own stash of Dektol comes from several generations ago. I expect hit-or-miss. Your bag was fresh and should have been in good shape.

p.s. I work for Kodak but not in film or chemicals, so the opinions and positions I take are my own and not necessarily those of EKC.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin