Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,368   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Agfa Paper

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
    "As good as it was when fresh"? Yeah, right.

Shooter
    35mm
    We are on a band wagon here where in recent months old in almost everything photographic = antique/Monet painting in terms of price even in materials such as paper where old can = useless/ defective.

I blame the Lomo crowd.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Remind me when I go to test the ten sheets of this that I have (which I believe I paid two, maybe even three whole dollars for) to use only the tiniest of offcuts to do so!

Oh, and I believe that mine is much older, going by the packaging. Does that mean it's worth more? Should I get Fire & Theft Insurance for it; perhaps have it locked in a safety deposit box?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    We are on a band wagon here where in recent months old in almost everything photographic = antique/Monet painting in terms of price even in materials such as paper where old can = useless/ defective.

I blame the Lomo crowd.

pentaxuser
    Three or four years ago I remember that I was able to stock up with lots of good film from Ebay at very reasonable prices, usually fresh or, at worst, near dated. (Some certainly seemed to be from pro photographers clearing stock). Now there's almost nothing of real interest at sensible prices.....just noticed some quite ordinary o/d 126 at £19.99 each! I remember getting 10 fresh (just in date) for £5.00!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have even older agfa portriga PN 112 (not rapid) in store.It was never frozen. It is still printable.The times of exposure were little longer,but the final look of prints is excellent . Beautiful warm tones, no fog. There is no substitute for this paper on the market now, but that paper on ebay is a little bit overpriced.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    'LAST BOX OF ORIGINAL (very rare) Portriga Rapid paper, production of which was discontinued in 1975'

That's funny. I was buying and using (fresh) Portriga Rapid up until the mid to late 80s. Was great stuff, and also an excellent RC version was available too.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got sealed Gevaert paper from the 50's from a batch knowledgable persons report to be fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Mike, post #7, I suppose the advert was referring to the version of Portriga before it was reformulated to reduce/eliminate some ingredients which were removed for environmental reasons. Those boxes of the "old" version could be usable, who knows, but the price seems about ten times too high!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Mike, post #7, I suppose the advert was referring to the version of Portriga before it was reformulated to reduce/eliminate some ingredients which were removed for environmental reasons. Those boxes of the "old" version could be usable, who knows, but the price seems about ten times too high!
    That's a good point, though even then I'm sure blue label Agfa papers were made later than 75. Anyway, I see it didn't sell!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin