Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,445   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: APX-25 120

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Some people just don't appreciate quality. That's okay. It's better for the rest of us. A few years ago, I was in Aperture (I think it was Aperture, right near the British Museum?) and I found 8 rolls of APX 25 for one pound each. I already had a stash, but that was a nice addition. It's my favorite film of all time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...i'm not really an APX25 fan because it doesn't reverse well, but there was a box of 8x10 tech-pan for sale on the bay a few months ago.. I was out-bid @ 520$. There is more to that APX sale than just the film; Its 100-rolls of the same EM# of the last run - frozen. We are still running SCALA that has been frozen from the same period, still being sold by FOTOIMPEX - still as good as 2003 scala...

..someone will buy this lot that cherishes this emulsion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had 17 meters of 35 mm films at those days. APX 25 is the best film ever tried (tht is atl least what I think today). But 20$ per roll s much to high. There exist alternatives.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I don't hesitate to shoot old, slow, fine-grained film. I find it retains its qualities past its expiration date. Fast films and Infrared films - I doubt I would shoot any but fresh.

But a 25 speed black and white film, in a large enough batch to calibrate and get to know, is not a bad deal. This could be a chance in a lifetime for some lucky photographer who likes to work with slow film.

Whoever buys it will have plenty of time to find something new.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm relieved they included shipping in the price . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found basically the same deal in 2007, but at $8 a roll, made an offer for $5, he counter offered at $6 so I got the whole lot of the same batch for $630 shipped via FedEx. I have been nibbling away at it, beautiful stuff...

But yeah, 2K is about double what I would pay now and besides, I don't have much room in my film freezer anymore.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad the fans have access to it but even at a reasonable price I'd pass. It's a great film but painfully slow, too slow for me almost all the time, and I don't need grain that fine in 120 anyway. Pan F+, Acros and FP4+ (and I'd bet TMX and Delta 100 as well, I just haven't tried them) give me visually almost grainless results from 6x6 at 15" square and plenty fine grained enough at 16x20 from 645 or cropped 6x6. How fine does your grain need to be?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Glad the fans have access to it but even at a reasonable price I'd pass. It's a great film but painfully slow, too slow for me almost all the time, and I don't need grain that fine in 120 anyway. Pan F+, Acros and FP4+ (and I'd bet TMX and Delta 100 as well, I just haven't tried them) give me visually almost grainless results from 6x6 at 15" square and plenty fine grained enough at 16x20 from 645 or cropped 6x6. How fine does your grain need to be?
    If it was all about the grain then of course any of the other films you mention would be fine. It does have a unique look.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fair enough. So does Acros, which I mention not to say it is an alternative, but to indicate I understand - Acros' spectral sensitivity and thus look is decidedly different.

Still, I never got hooked on it and, while I might spring twenty bucks for a roll or two to try it out, I'm certainly not spending $2000 for 100 rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    How fine does your grain need to be?
    Pretty darn fine to handle 40 x 40+, we all have different needs and wants sir. And it really does have a great look, I almost never need to go outside of grade 2 and get stunning results from using a 10 stop ND filter in full sunlight.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin