Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,088   Online: 927

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ultrafine extreme 120 Asa 100.. Disapointing results

Hey guys,

I loaded a roll in my Rollei 3.5f yesterday and processed it with disappointing results. The biggest thing was that the film was somehow imprinted with frame number and dots from the other side of dark paper. Like the paper wasn't light proof enough. This happened all through the roll. The next was it lacked dynamic range, granted maybe it was unfair to expect it to be like Ilford Delta 100, but come on..! It,s 100. The worst thing is that I shot 4 beautiful images of a Spanish Colonial church that was decommissioned for music and art events. Last night They had a musician playing last night as the sun was going down behind it with gradient sky and they had the front doors open, illuminating light coming out. The image was beautiful in the viewfinder. Unfortunately.. Thats all I got, a memory. The film didn't perform like the music inside. The best thing is I didn't get more than 1 roll of this stuff.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have been given a painful lesson. For important photos use Kodak or Ilford film rather than some off brand.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Film is the least expensive part of any photographic outing. (You'll spend more on gas getting to and from your destination.) As Gerald said, buy the good stuff. I'll add Fuji Acros to his list of Kodak and Ilford.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tossed the other roll. Sticking with Ilford. What a B----!

todd

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a 5 roll pack of this stuff and find it perfect! What is it perfect for? Adjusting/setting focus on my old folders and for checking the bellows/backs for light leaks. For anything else it's almost worthless. I sure am glad I didn't take that "once in a lifetime" picture with it. Cheap test film is about it. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Somewhere I read that Ultrafine was Lucky--lucky you get any image at all
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's quite sad. Did you contact Ultrafine? I've been pleased with their products. I just bought a roll of 120 from them to try out...Maybe they don't know of the problem
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    That's quite sad. Did you contact Ultrafine? I've been pleased with their products. I just bought a roll of 120 from them to try out...Maybe they don't know of the problem
    Oh, I'm pretty sure they know by now. I did a search and found several people with the same type of defects saw and they saw them some time ago. Some said they even had bleed through from the backing numbers onto the film. I did not. I did see an emulsion defect and it's the reason I and some others won't use it for anything but testing. It's almost like there is a mold in the emulsion, which shows up in the dense areas of the negative. After you process and dry check it out and tell us what you see. Actually, I liked the tonality when I processed it in FX37, but the blasted mold/molting just doesn't cut it. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    I tossed the other roll. Sticking with Ilford. What a B----!

todd
    Too bad you threw it out. Rolls like this are good for ripening freshly mixed Diafine or a PPD dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Somewhere I read that Ultrafine was Lucky--lucky you get any image at all
    I thought that applied to Miracle Film, "If you get anything, it's a Miracle!"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin