Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,903   Posts: 1,555,828   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

I didn't think it could be done.

I exhausted my working LPD.

First time in 4 years. Normally do something goofy to ruin it but I actually wore it out, I must be getting better at this.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    LPD?

Shooter
    35mm
    Norman I think this is Ethol LPD. Matt at Agphotographic sells it but is waiting for fresh stock. It is a powder in a tin with legendary keeping properties. Have a look at Ag's write up

Others in the U.K. such as Silverprint might also stock it

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    LPD?
    Yep, Ethol Lasting Paper Developer

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format

I didn't think it could be done.

You were replenishing it per instructions? You can certainly exhaust a single bath by printing but it takes a lot of printing. I normally discard it from time and don't print enough to wear it out from use. I've kept a working strength bottle mixed in September and made prints in January that were _almost_ indistinguishable from prints made with fresh working strength mix, though it took it about .25 grades more contrast IIRC (required splitting exposure between filters for closest match.)
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 04-14-2013 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not per instructions. I may have to get more scientific going forward.

I've been mixing a liter of 1:3 and just topping up the working solution with that. Normally I'd contaminate it or spill some or whatnot. This is the first time I've exhausted it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark, did it abruptly stop or slowly stop working? It sounds like you were surprised, when did you know? LPD is a terrific developer. Been printing 5x7's?

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Curt,

No not terribly abrupt, but it should be noted that my working solution volume is only 160ml for the JOBO. It's also not a complaint, I love LPD.

I had switched to a different roll of film and was trying to nail the exposure and contrast and was starting to get prints that weren't matching what the enlarger meter was telling me but I was liking the warmth of the prints. It became clear about 3 runs later when the prints came out very underdeveloped and overly warm in color.

Now that I've seen how this happens I can catch it with more aggressive replenishment next time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had this happen to me with a three year old batch of replenished LPD. I had been sloppy with replenishing after not using it for a while. Otherwise, it never runs out of steam.
    Bromides and such do build up, and eventually it's a good idea to mix a new batch, where the new working solution is 1 part fresh stock, and 2 parts old developer. That seems to properly revitalize the activity of the developer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have of couple cans on hand all the time. It's in a category by itself. I'm glad to see it continue to be used.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin