Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,751   Online: 895

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak TMax dev availability? How to use TMax RS?

So after visiting Adorama and B&H, found out that neither had TMax developer in stock. Is it still being made/packaged?

So I bought RS instead and realized I have to mix it all at once. Is there a way to mix A and B one shot? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak TMax dev availability? How to use TMax RS?

Yes. Just dump all of the little bottle of B solution into the big bottle of A solution and mix. Dilute for use one shot as usual. Many of us have been doing this since it came out with no problems at all.

Shooter
    35mm
    So A and B same bottle, then 1+4? Do I risk longevity issues doing it as so? Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This link contained all the info I needed for developing Tmax films,with Tmax rs-I used this info as a starting point for developing other films,I always add the pouch to the bottle and use 1 shot. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...xton-tmax.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So A and B same bottle, then 1+4? Do I risk longevity issues doing it as so? Thanks
    No. That was my concern at first too. There was a thread somewhere on this, maybe LFPF, but IIRC the gist was that the parts weren't separated for longevity but for ease of replenishment. I don't recall the details, but I've kept a bottle combined for more than a year and it still worked fine (squeeze the air out before capping.)

I like to dilute more than 1+4 but that's a matter of taste. Some people use 1+6 or even 1+9. I don't like the midtones with 1+9. I like 1+6 fine but have tweaked mine to 1+5. YMMV of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh yes, far be it from me to disagree with someone like Sexton, but I just haven't had that experience with D76 increasing in activity, at least not recently (I don't remember about 1987 when that was written.) It seems to be well buffered, or otherwise adjusted to prevent this problem these days. Film I've developed in D76 stored for a year in tightly capped bottles looks just like film developed in fresh D76 to me.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 04-14-2013 at 05:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    No. That was my concern at first too. There was a thread somewhere on this, maybe LFPF, but IIRC the gist was that the parts weren't separated for longevity but for ease of replenishment. I don't recall the details, but I've kept a bottle combined for more than a year and it still worked fine (squeeze the air out before capping.)
    I'd wondered about the little packet as well, but searching the internet did not turn up much info. I found only one or two references where people did not use the packet, and reported no problems.

What I don't understand is, considering the packet is supposed to be added to the full concentrate when first mixing, why would it be separated in the first place? Could it be to "season" the developer? If so, is there a reason that it would not come pre-seasoned (perhaps time-related degradation)?
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I read an explanation, I think on LFPF, and it made sense at the time, but I don't recall what it was. If I get time I'll try searching over there and see what I can find.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bottle of TMAX RS I have is from a camera shop that had closed, so I got a good price.

I had resolved to not add the packet, but if something definitive turns up before I start my testing, I will use it. I will continue to search as well.
    From what I've read, the concentrate is quite long-lasting - I just need to know if the same is true of RS after the packet is added. Mixing as needed sounds like a good route for me to take, considering my low-volume of B&W film.

I'm slowly acquiring film and chemicals to try some things out in 35mm, so I've got some time. A recent Bronica acquisition has slowed me down a bit .
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    The bottle of TMAX RS I have is from a camera shop that had closed, so I got a good price.

I had resolved to not add the packet, but if something definitive turns up before I start my testing, I will use it. I will continue to search as well.
    From what I've read, the concentrate is quite long-lasting - I just need to know if the same is true of RS after the packet is added. Mixing as needed sounds like a good route for me to take, considering my low-volume of B&W film.

I'm slowly acquiring film and chemicals to try some things out in 35mm, so I've got some time. A recent Bronica acquisition has slowed me down a bit .
    developer is cheap, time and effort exposing film can be priceless ... seeing time doesn't repeat itself ...
    why risk ruining your film ...

if the developer consists of part a and part b and you don't plan on using part b ?
    why use the developer at all ?

its like using xtol, but not mixing the 2 pouches together ..

don't forget if you poke a hole into the little pouch and only use a little at a time
    because you don't want to risk the long life of the developer ( if mixed together )
    you will probably kill the small pouch between development sessions ...
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin