Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,274   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Guys, again. Only whats listed above, or formulas. Nothing else. Especially from an overseas store. Seriously, why do people have a hard time sticking to the outlined requirements?

Regardless, went with Docufine 1+4, 7 minutes, 20c. No idea what the shot speed was, had no information, was a found roll. Assumed ISO 25 was most likely. Though given the density, appears more like it was shot at ISO 12, but still otherwise useable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, not a commercial mix, but called TDLC-103. 1g metol, 5g soduim sulfite (pinch of this in prior to metol first), 10g sodium bicarbonate per litre.
    5g/l sodium sulfite as a stop bath is recommended with this. Not sure why; I have not experimented without it.

Calibrated times at night by laying a Stouffer TP120 6x6cm 31 step 1/3 step step wedge on top of an inverted spare omega dichoric head under a copy camera. The head was dialled to 100C +30M to simulate daylight adn a DB diffuser was used and step wedge was masked off to cut down on possible flare. Shot with room lights off. Metered with a spot meter onto the 12th step to try to meter what I hoped would be middle grey. Took meter reading and factored in 2 stops for the bellows factor of the lens setting on the copy camera, a Polarid MP3. So exposure was f/5.6 1S as a first trial at EI25.

Shot 4 negatives, and put all in same tank of developer. Pulled hangers and set into stop tank as timer ran. Ended up with data for 20C temps of times of 5, 8, 11, and 16 minutes, 30" agitation intervals.

HD plots showed that for EI 25, I only got density out to 15 1/3 steps for the longest development time, and slope was steeper than standard development.

So next round was EI 12, and I developed for 8, 10, 12.5, 16 and 20', again agitiate every 30". Much better data from this round. Exposures out to 20-22 steps.

I use a R-18b Kodak development dial for all of my work. It comes from a mid 80's darkroom datatguide, and is handy for translating results to a standard 20C when things are not quite 20C. I have extended it's range to work out at 38C for E-6 as well.
    Attached Files
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Different folks like different looks. Some like the look of TP in Rodinal, some don't. Ditto for just about every other developer out there.

Technidol works better than anything else. The next best is probably C-41. You can have TP developed by someplace that does color negative processing. Just make extra, extra sure they don't put it through the bleach or blix - the result of either will be clear film. In the old days of real camera stores that knew what they were doing it was no problem getting Tech Pan souped in C-41.

Mike's suggestion of TDLC sounds fine by me. Tech Pan responds very well to pulling. I develop in Technidol and pull 1 stop exposure/-20% development time for a perfect match to grade #2 paper.

The other alternative is very dilute HC-110 - if the MSDS is anything to go by this is probably the closest thing to Technidol you can get.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Current options for tech pan development?

The problem is you don't know what it was shot at... So how can you develop it properly? You can't you can only guess...

The massive dev chart has generally accepted times which tend to be accurate in most cases.

PRE-soak always says PE and I tend to follow his suggestions. Pre-soak 2-3 minutes.

Then follow these times... Pay attention to the exposure index and pick the one you suspect was used on the film since its already exposed.

In addition I've developed Tech Pan in ilford DD-X at 6 minutes based on EI16 with good but high contrast results. But the film was from the 1980's so who knows how that affected the speed.

Hope that was helpful and within your "request guidelines"

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

The above times are always 1 minute gentile agitation and 2 gentile inversions every minute for the remainder of time for development.

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    The above times are always 1 minute gentile agitation and 2 gentile inversions every minute for the remainder of time for development.

~Stone

Are gentile agitations kosher?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Are gentile agitations kosher?
    Haha probably not, but I'm Roman Catholic and my girlfriend is Orthodox Jewish (except the dating me part) so I guess I can pretend its kosher

~Stone

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's the docufine times with contrast index in case anyone was interested

Also attached locally for preservation
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29yfwd5.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	316.1 KB 
ID:	67454

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Slides

We run much TP still in dr5 - http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/tp.html
    It is still a viable film. Even abused, it lasts a long time. I have found the best processing option for TP are positives.
    That kodak didn't make tecnadol available for the long term leaves no other option in my opinion.

dw

Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Ideally would like a technidol substitute for 0.5 to 0.6 contrast index times/etc. ISO 16-32.

Must either be something off the shelf from the follow:

Current Kodak (excluding HC-110) or Ilford developers, Rodinal, Adotech II, LP Docufine

Or something mixed up. Have phenidone, metol, hydroquinone, the usual.

Must give times, must have even development without issue (pre-soak no pre-soak?).

No test roll to run through, only a single roll.

edit: Just found the info sheet for the LP Docufine, which has times for Tech Pan at different ISOs and gives the gamma for each one, so this is probably the choice for now (iirc its the same developer as Rollei RLC?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    We run much TP still in dr5 - http://www.dr5.com/blackandwhiteslide/tp.html
    It is still a viable film. Even abused, it lasts a long time. I have found the best processing option for TP are positives.
    That kodak didn't make tecnadol available for the long term leaves no other option in my opinion.

dw
    "I have found the best processing option for TP are positives."
    I would too if that's how I made my living
    I still have yet to send you guys some film. Been meaning to do it for years.

Here's how I've been doing it.
    25asa (sheet film)
    2 minutes presoak
    68 degrees
    rodinal 1:100 in jobo expert drum speed 3 for 5-6 minutes depending on the contrast range
    I print with chromega heads on vc paper. The results blow my mind every time.

Untitled by vinnywalsh.com, on Flickr

first frost by vinnywalsh.com, on Flickr
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin