Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,709   Posts: 1,548,618   Online: 1151

Shooter
    Medium Format

advice needed on use of safelight during tray processing 5x4

Ive shot a few images on fomapan 100 the basic set up of the shot is a model aka the mrs sat in a window and lit with natural light thru a net curtain, ive metered for the highlight/midtone using a d300 and checked the histogram and tried not to clip the highlights looking at the digital trial shots they shadow/highlights looked fine with minimal over exposure.
    After reading about the issues with the contrast ramping up during the development using fomapan, i was thinking about doing a 1 to 100 ratio at 20deg with rodinal and using a safelight towards the end of the development to monitor the contrast and visually check density of the negative to prevent the shadows not blocking up too badly. Would the use of the Red safelight cause any issues with the film towards the last 5 min of the development.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    hi dave

you don't want to use a red safelight with pan film, it will fog the film
    you want to use a dark green safelight to check for highlight density

there is information about dbi / developing by inspection here: http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/devinsp.html

it takes a little practice ... i wouldn't leave the light on for a prolonged length of time,
    you will risk fogging your film with the green light too

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't want to sound like a "dismal Jimmy"( Is this a Brit expression only?) but I suspect that inspection by dark green( read very dark) safelight takes a lot of practice before it gives you any useful info without fogging damage to the film.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    My advice: do not use asfelights under any circumstances.

There is a learning curve in weaning yourself from this aid, but, believe me, you will sleep better after eliminating this potential threat from your life. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    its looking like the safelight is a bad idea then so will work in the dark on this one, decided to process em in a tray over the say the mod54 and patterson tank combo as it will save chemistry on processing single sheets and is a tiny bit more flexible i guess.
    would anybody have any accurate figures on the processing times on the fomapan 100 with Rodinal for me to work from

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It is possible to use a dark green safelight for viewing the development of panchromatic film by inspection, but suggest you keep the pan film in total darkness while you adjust your eyes to this very dim light over about 20 or 30 minutes. When you do view the developing film, make your viewing period/light on film as short as possible to make your judgement.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Save chemistry? @1:100 you will have 500ml working solution developer provided you stick to the recomended 5ml rodinal/1(8x10``)135,120 or 4x(4x5``) and rodinal is not that expensive.
    Best regards

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin