Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,284   Online: 817

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    BTW it does require a bit of effort to make a GOOD cup of tea. My grandmother was from England and she taught me how to make a good cup of tea. And for god's sake don't use a tea bag. The tea leaves in tea bags is cut too finely and therefore the tea rapidly loses its aroma. By the time you purchase tea bags the tea's aroma is mostly gone.
    One can apply this rationale to film developing also: A little bit of extra effort yields a lot of extra reward, or at the least avoids a great deal of frustration in the case of film processing. It does not need by any means to be difficult or excessively involved. One only needs to do a few basic things well and the rest takes care of itself. There are of course different styles, as with most things in life. Some bevel the film, some don't. Some prefer Paterson reels, some metal. Whatever one does, it is worth practicing and ironing out the obvious problems, and it pays to do so with cheap film and not the critical shots of a once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

Everything worth doing, is worth doing well, whether it is making tea or developing a film. The difference between merely doing, and doing well, is often not that great.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Wow. I hope this thread is not a portent of the future of advice on the internet. It is full of complete b.s. until Thomas' post, aside from the beveling of the leading edge (a mm or so) of film before you load a plastic reel. Plastic reels should be loaded dry. A few seconds with a hair dryer will do if you live in a high humidity environment. A lot of sticking problems with plastic reels are caused by dirty reels or reels that have been fouled by wetting agents such as Photoflo. If you use plastic reels you should clean them every few tanks with bleach. It only take a few seconds.

I have dried film every way since Tuesday, including five years in SoCal living on the Pacific coast, 150' from the ocean, hanging the film outside on my balcony overnight in the salty air. Never any problems. The best way to do it controllably is to use LFN (Photoflo just doesn't work well, save yourself the hassle) in distilled water then wipe slowly in one direction on the shiny (non emulsion side) with a stack of Kimwipes or a Bounty paper towel (yes, you heard that right), while it is wet (mirroring what Thomas wrote), once. No rewipes. Use a new Kimwipe or paper towel if there are any streaks in reflected light. Alternatively, you can finish with a soak in pure alcohol, but don't dry the film with heat afterwards or it will cloud. Don't ever touch the emulsion side, ever. No squeegee for you! to paraphrase Seinfeld. I have never seen a water spot on the emulsion side of the film in all my years doing photography and developing film. If you get a water spot on the non-emulsion side of the film, it can easily be removed with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, or your breath, and a microfiber. The alcohol works better than your breath. Isopropyl alcohol is a better film cleaner than Pec-12 in my opinion for black and white film. Pec-12 is better for cleaning prints. It works wonderfully for that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Full of complete b.s."

there's nothing quite like a constructive contribution to help folk along, is there?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Developed my first roll... Poor Paterson Reel loading technique ...

Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    "Full of complete b.s."

there's nothing quite like a constructive contribution to help folk along, is there?
    Also he tells the OP to use fiber filed paper towel to dry his negatives assuring there will be no dust issues... Haha

Please never use paper towel or toilet paper to dry your negs....

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    "Full of complete b.s."

I don't think it means what you think it means. He did contribute to the discussion, after all.

I probaly won't take PRJ's suggestions to heart, but if it works for him, that's enough.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also he tells the OP to use fiber filed paper towel to dry his negatives assuring there will be no dust issues... Haha

Please never use paper towel or toilet paper to dry your negs....

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    You ever done it Stone? Or are you just talking out your a$$. Kimwipes work great. Bounty works really well. Don't use the stuff that you use to wipe your tushy. You may talk from there, but it doesn't leave clean negs.

Lots of experience, no b.s.
    Last edited by Patrick Robert James; 04-18-2013 at 05:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    You ever done it Stone? Or are you just talking out your a$$. Kimwipes work great. Bounty works really well. Don't use the stuff that you use to wipe your tushy. You may talk from there, but it doesn't leave clean negs.

Lots of experience, no b.s.
    Fair enough, I haven't done it, but a paper towel with loose fibers wouldn't be my first choice to wipe film as the fibers would deposit themselves on the emulsion.

I just don't know of a roll I'll shoot that I won't care enough about to test on, but someday if I do I will try.

~Stone

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick did not advise to wipe the emulsion side, only the base side. In fact, he specifically advised against wiping the emulsion side.

Fair enough, I haven't done it, but a paper towel with loose fibers wouldn't be my first choice to wipe film as the fibers would deposit themselves on the emulsion.

I just don't know of a roll I'll shoot that I won't care enough about to test on, but someday if I do I will try.

~Stone

"Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Patrick did not advise to wipe the emulsion side, only the base side. In fact, he specifically advised against wiping the emulsion side.
    Ahh I missed that.

I have much to learn, don't listen to me...

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh I missed that.

I have much to learn, don't listen to me...

~Stone

Don't concern yourself with trivial details like accuracy, just keep posting away as fast as you can!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin