Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,830   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

ORWO Direct Positive Paper

Here's one for those with long experience of the photographic world ...

I've come into possession of a pack of ORWO DPP 111 paper in 10x8.

I'm guessing this is 20-30 years old, and it wasn't stored refrigerated (but equally it has not been exposed) so I'm not expecting much, but I can't find any data about it.

Straight from the pack (i.e. unexposed, undeveloped), it is a rather gorgeous shade of pale fuchsia.

Unexposed and developed in an ordinary print developer (Fotospeed DV10) it doesn't begin to show any development for about a minute, and takes about 5 to come to a medium-grey. It doesn't develop anywhere near to a full black.

Exposed to a daylight bulb for several minutes and developed ditto, it retains a pink tinge after fixing.

So, I'm presuming that either this isn't the same sort of beast as Harman DPP, or it's age-fogged beyond use, or perhaps both.

Can anyone shed further light on this "antique" ?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The mechanism most probably employed in this paper is typically chemically unstable. Which results in low longevity of the paper.

You did not state the density you got when developed after exposure.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-18-2013 at 05:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi pdeex, I just checked ORWO Formulae book, edition 1986. It's mostly processing oriented book for all oRWO materials. It mention "Black and white paper for technical purposes" ORWO document paper, DP but there is no more specific info for processing. It's ORWO instruction 2361. For processing they recommend N120. It was "regular" ORWO positive developer. 111 is most likely surface and paper thickness designation. Did you process any unexposed paper, just to see it's Dmax? Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might also try SHALLOTS

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...developer.html
    the article might work too
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...-formulae.html
    have fun !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-18-2013 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ORWO DP003.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	67449

Name:	ORWO DP002.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	313.2 KB 
ID:	67448

Name:	ORWO DP001.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	67447
    Last edited by gorbas; 04-18-2013 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @gorbas:

Thanks for the pages.
    I don't possess any sort of densitometer so can't measure Dmax/Dmin. However I did say
    Unexposed and developed in an ordinary print developer (Fotospeed DV10) it doesn't begin to show any development for about a minute, and takes about 5 to come to a medium-grey. It doesn't develop anywhere near to a full black.
    By eye, perhaps V/VI at best

@AgX

Exposed, developed and fixed it is white but not pure white (perhaps IX) and retains a slight pink tinge.

@jnanian -- ha! yes, I considered developing it in caffenol at first but thought I'd better try it in more traditional chemicals first I don 't eat many onions though ...
    My main thought was to use it in my 5x4 pinhole, so I've cut some and loaded a couple of backs.
    Last edited by pdeeh; 04-19-2013 at 02:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gorbas View Post
    Hi pdeex, I just checked ORWO Formulae book, edition 1986. It's mostly processing oriented book for all oRWO materials. It mention "Black and white paper for technical purposes" ORWO document paper, DP but there is no more specific info for processing.
    The DP paper is not the DPP we are talking about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your paper is surely fogged. As it's a positive paper it should give a straight black when you develop an unexposed sheet.
    I have used it some time ago. I developed it in Adotol Konstant (which is the same as Calbe N113). Usually it gives straigt blacks in this developer and it's quite contrasty, so you have to do some kind of preflashing to get a normal contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdeeh View Post
    @jnanian -- ha! yes, I considered developing it in caffenol at first but thought I'd better try it in more traditional chemicals first I don 't eat many onions though.
    noo not onions but shallots i am not sure if they are persian shallots or "regular ones" that darkroomexperimente used, probably "regular ones" ...
    it might be worth stinking up your whole house just for fun
    the 2nd link i posted is a kodak reversal developer ...

fun!
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-19-2013 at 07:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Michael Kiel - thanks, that's good information.

@jn They're all Alliums to me

Yep I did look at Ian's thread, funnily enough I have been thinking about trying reversal recently (just for the hell of it). Ilford has a recipe on their site which requires fewer steps and fewer (and less nasty, more easily available) chemicals than that Kodak one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin