Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,842   Posts: 1,582,640   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    The real question is: When did colour turn into color?!

Steve.
    It was during the U-Boat plague in the early 40s, the British couldn't ship the "U"s to the U.S. That's why we've become the Benighted States of America.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 04-20-2013 at 10:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Calvin on artist's statements:

Calvin: People always make the mistake of thinking art is created for them. But really, art is a private language for sophisticates to congratulate themselves on their superiority to the rest of the world. As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance.
    Hobbes: You misspelled Weltanschauung.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My senior advisor at school sent this out to my fellow seniors and myself a week or two ago, made me grab my Calvin and Hobbes books off the shelf for the first time in two years or so.
    Last edited by Chris Lange; 04-20-2013 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I actually told my daughter this... I also told her the sun is about the size of a quarter, also from Calvin and Hobbes.

I expect a call from the school soon.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images

Evolution Theory explained

Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    I actually told my daughter this... I also told her the sun is about the size of a quarter, also from Calvin and Hobbes.

I expect a call from the school soon.
    Fair warning: the older they get, the harder it is to fool them.
    My daughters are 14 and 16 and it's very difficult to come up with new things.

But I'll keep trying ...

For example @ explaining the evolution theory of Darwin: that animals learn new ways to survive. This is still going on and here is a recorded example taken from National Geographic: deer are still evolving by learning to climb trees for being hunted for so long.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deeruptree.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	73815

If you think you can take it further, tell them the deer will keep evolving into killers of humans eventually, if we keep hunting them like this.
    See:

Name:	calvin-and-hobbes-hunting-deer.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	73816

(There's that call from school again)
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheToadMen View Post
    Fair warning: the older they get, the harder it is to fool them.
    My daughters are 14 and 16 and it's very difficult to come up with new things.

But I'll keep trying ...

For example @ explaining the evolution theory of Darwin: that animals learn new ways to survive. This is still going on and here is a recorded example taken from National Geographic: deer are still evolving by learning to climb trees for being hunted for so long.

If you think you can take it further, tell them the deer will keep evolving into killers of humans eventually, if we keep hunting them like this.
    (There's that call from school again)
    At 8, it's still easy. She believes my car travels through time and dimensions. Our little "adventures" will give her something to remember, at the very least. I'm definitely going to try the deer hunting one. The photo she'll believe, which is very cool.

Sometimes, though, I wonder if I'm going too far. For instance, she believes I'm 947 years old.

Thanks for the new ammo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At 8, it's still easy. She believes my car travels through time and dimensions.
    Well, technically, you're correct. I'm travelling through time as we speak (problem is, my time-machine is stuck in forward, and it only goes forward one second per second).
    I remember in primary school someone saying that their (parents') car was so powerful that it stayed still and the earth moved under its wheels. Relativistically-speaking, that's totally true, whenever I go anywhere I am in exactly the same place and the entire universe is moving around me, from my frame-of-reference...

physics is fun.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    Well, technically, you're correct. I'm travelling through time as we speak (problem is, my time-machine is stuck in forward, and it only goes forward one second per second).
    I remember in primary school someone saying that their (parents') car was so powerful that it stayed still and the earth moved under its wheels. Relativistically-speaking, that's totally true, whenever I go anywhere I am in exactly the same place and the entire universe is moving around me, from my frame-of-reference...

physics is fun.

Like Calvin & Hobbes said (in the last frame in post #1):

"CALVIN: The world is a complicated place, Hobbes.
    HOBBES: Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner."

It's just a matter of perspective, I guess:

Name:	calvin-perspective.gif 
Views:	27 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	73849
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 09-02-2013 at 06:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the early 70's, there were already some of the early wind turbines installed west of Palm Springs, in the pass where I lived at the time. I remember when I was 16 or 17, we had the Santa Ana winds ripping through the pass, and a friend's 10-year-old brother asked me where the wind came from.
    I told him,

"You know those big fans to the east of here? Over towards Palm Springs?"

"Yes."

"They crank those up to create the wind."

"But why?"

"To blow the smog back to L.A."

"Oh. But why?"

"Because sometimes we just get too much here, so we blow it back. You notice how the skies are always clear when the wind's blowing like this?"

"Yes. So why don't they do it all the time?"

"Well, because we'd get tired of it being windy all the time. Those fans have to blow really hard to blow it all the way back to L.A. And it's very expensive."

"Oh. How do make them turn?"

"You remember all those wires they have going to them? That's how they power those big fans. It takes a lot of electricity to turn those fans. That's why it's so expensive."

"Oh."

I heard from my friend the next day that the kid explained the origin of the heavy winds to his parents at dinner that night; his mom was none too pleased with me for fooling her little boy like that, but his dad loved it.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At 8, it's still easy. She believes my car travels through time and dimensions. Our little "adventures" will give her something to remember, at the very least. I'm definitely going to try the deer hunting one. The photo she'll believe, which is very cool.

Sometimes, though, I wonder if I'm going too far. For instance, she believes I'm 947 years old.

Thanks for the new ammo!
    Is you car disguised as a blue police call box?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin