Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,910   Online: 958

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can do the same thing with a small stop (or pinhole) and a neutral density filter. It is a "failure" in the sense that the regular time/intensity rule for equivalent exposure fails to provide equivalent exposure. It also causes a contrast increase because the effect (or failure) is more pronounced in darker areas making them proportionately even darker. And if you reduce development to compensate for the increase in contrast you lose yet more film speed (decreasing development does cause a noticeable loss of speed, it's just that increasing it doesn't actually increase speed, at least not very much.)

Glad it works for you but I confine my Fomapan exposures to 1/2 second and shorter. Anything longer gets TMY-2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The point of doing pinhole escapes me. Why would.... nevermind. Just because some things CAN be done, why do them? Anything that can be done with a pin hole can be done better with a lens, I'm sure I can fabricate a radio control plane that flies for 20 minutes on rubber bands, but why would I want to? I'm sure I could re-fabricate a light bulb with a grid from a piece of back porch screen and a plate and make an amplifier out of it, but why would I want to? PS--don't you guys be deterred or offended at my apparent attitude on the subject. It'sall in point-of-view. I'm a guy who spends too much of his life re-inventing the wheel, just for financial viability and sustenance, and survival. A pinhole camera, playing golf, and going to the dentist all hold equal measure on my list of exciting things to do.
    Last edited by HTF III; 04-23-2013 at 01:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because it's fun. And amazing. But then I also think a radio controlled plane that could fly for 20 minutes on rubber bands would be cool and a homemade working vacuum tube from a lightbulb and porch screen would be amazing too! Also the "better with a lens" part is very subjective... it won't make a better pinhole photograph! Don't worry not deterred and not offended... slightly bemused that you don't see the value and "wonder factor" of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    The point of doing pinhole escapes me. Why would.... nevermind. Just because some things CAN be done, why do them? Anything that can be done with a pin hole can be done better with a lens, I'm sure I can fabricate a radio control plane that flies for 20 minutes on rubber bands, but why would I want to? I'm sure I could re-fabricate a light bulb with a grid from a piece of back porch screen and a plate and make an amplifier out of it, but why would I want to? PS--don't you guys be deterred or offended at my apparent attitude on the subject. It'sall in point-of-view. I'm a guy who spends too much of his life re-inventing the wheel, just for financial viability and sustenance, and survival. A pinhole camera, playing golf, and going to the dentist all hold equal measure on my list of exciting things to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with the "because it's fun and cool and amazing" crowd - reason enough if you want to. But I'm less sure that anything done with a pinhole can be done with a lens. A pinhole is intrinsically soft focus, varying from quite soft to almost sharp. That alone can be hard enough to do with a lens but the other facet is that the pinhole creates an image with the same degree of sharpness, or unsharpness if you prefer, at all distances. You can stop down a lens, but that just makes it sharper until you reach diffraction problems when it starts getting less sharp again. I know of no way with a lens to render the image uniformly soft focus from inches to infinity. That gives a pinhole image its own aesthetic.

I'm thinking of trying it with some of the infrared film in my freezer.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    There's a few good reasons:

1) Expense. Cameras are simple and cheap to build or even purchase. Why the heck not?!
    2) Creativity: the images are unique and provide a visual experience quite different from anything else
    3) simplicity. Point, expose, develop and there you go! This, for me is the #1 reason. Photography is a weird skill because you can make it as simple or complex as you want. In my case, after years of getting into more complex processes and workflows, I wanted to go back to basics. It really makes you focus on subject and composition when you have nothing else to worry about.

Oh, and it's fun!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm with the "because it's fun and cool and amazing" crowd - reason enough if you want to. But I'm less sure that anything done with a pinhole can be done with a lens. A pinhole is intrinsically soft focus, varying from quite soft to almost sharp. That alone can be hard enough to do with a lens but the other facet is that the pinhole creates an image with the same degree of sharpness, or unsharpness if you prefer, at all distances. You can stop down a lens, but that just makes it sharper until you reach diffraction problems when it starts getting less sharp again. I know of no way with a lens to render the image uniformly soft focus from inches to infinity. That gives a pinhole image its own aesthetic.

I'm thinking of trying it with some of the infrared film in my freezer.
    I have gone through my whole life seeing things "uniformly soft". I have had to wear glasses just to be half blind. I guess it's all in point of view. Carry on, with my blessing. Better a pinhole print than ANYTHING off a digital camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to wear glasses too, but I'm 20/20 at distance with them (and better than normal up very close without them.) I like sharp for some things, but there's a dreamy quality to some pinhole images that's nice too. YMMV of course. Plus it's fun to make an image so simply, for some folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin