Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,801   Online: 669

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBamboo View Post
    Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I may have to throw out the 16 rolls of film I have
    Bah, you live and learn. Thanks everyone.
    Process them anyway. You never know. There might be something useful on them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't chuck them. As you can see, there's a plane of x-rays that's passed obliquely through your roll, exposed some of it and missed some of it. You may have some rolls that it missed entirely.

Film of 800ISO and slower is OK for carry-on x-rays, not checked-baggage inspection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Replying so I can see later on my computer. Sorry for the worthless post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    Replying so I can see later on my computer. Sorry for the worthless post.
    That's what "follow thread" is for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Xray this bad? I feel very sorry for you!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is a very even wavy band on the film. I would have thought to create such a precise pattern the chances of the X ray machine being exactly square to the film (laterally or tranversely) as it scanned would be very small at best. But other than a leprechaun with a torch inside your camera I can't think what might have caused such a wavy line.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    35mm
    Isn't there some sort of "Artistic" (with an upper-case "A") possibility here?

A large piece of photo-paper, carefully (or the opposite) arranged strips of damaged negs laid on top, a light-source -- and an impressive Artist's Statement pronouncing the ultimate, naturally random results showing the tenuous and delicate nature of our organised existence. Should do the job nicely. And when you get the multiple thousands in your bank-account, I'm in for 10%

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    It is a very even wavy band on the film. I would have thought to create such a precise pattern the chances of the X ray machine being exactly square to the film (laterally or tranversely) as it scanned would be very small at best. But other than a leprechaun with a torch inside your camera I can't think what might have caused such a wavy line.

Steve
    Hmmm. I would have thought that Xray exposure of a negative would result in light marks on the print, rather than dark marks. Am I missing something?

Tnx,

-- Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post

Steve
    The very evenness indicates that it was X-Rays. X-Rays travel in very straight lines and you can see here that they swept through a plane. When you intersect a plane with a cylinder and then unroll the cylinder, you get a nice sine-wave as pictured. The plane was clearly oblique to the roll of film: the approx 6mm wobble against the ~20mm diameter of a roll of 120 indicates that the X-ray plane was tilted about 15 degrees from cutting directly across the axis of the roll (in which case there would have been a straight line).

Quote Originally Posted by mfohl
    Hmmm. I would have thought that Xray exposure of a negative would result in light marks on the print, rather than dark marks. Am I missing something?
    These marks are dark on the negative (additional exposure) and therefore white on a print (which doesn't exist at this point). I'm not sure you're missing anything except that the roll of film in the picture is not a print?

MikeBamboo: was there a roll loaded in your camera that went through the scanner? That will be very interesting to see because you should get different patterns for the two parts of the roll on each spool, plus a third pattern for the straight film across the gate.
    Last edited by polyglot; 04-25-2013 at 08:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I kind of second the notion that the negatives could be used creatively. Develop them all and see if anything else stuck on the film. If not, use the beautiful wave pattern to pre-expose paper or something. Could be very interesting. Or not. But at least you could have some fun with them.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin