Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,096   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Working with large scale paper for full body photograms...

Hi there - i'm hoping this is posted in the right place!
    I'm looking to produce some full body photograms and wondering if anyone can offer any advice on the process. I have never worked with paper so big. I will be buying a roll, which will give me just about enough images as i am hoping for but not much paper left for experimenting (making mistakes!). I am planning to cut the b/w paper in the dark room with a paper cutter at approx 185cm high and about 85cm wide and to expose the paper against a wall.... Hoping to hang the piece from clips and perhaps clips at the bottom to weigh the paper down (?) The part i'm a little concerned about is the processing - i was thinking to apply the developer/ stop bath / fix via a mop and bucket - has anyone done anything similiar? and wash the prints in a large dark room sink. Is there anything else i should be thinking about or have overlooked. Any advice? Recommendations gladly received!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can find threads on this forum, or the Enlarging forum, on processing large prints - do a search for similar phrases. One method is to use simple troughs, like paper hangers use (you can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, etc) with glue - you "rock" or "see saw" the prints from one end to another, maybe with a helper for this long a piece (processing time will be longer than usual). You can set them on the floor, and they don't take a lot of space. Washing would be another thing, probably would depend on how long they need to last. Do some searches for "processing extra large prints", or processing roll paper. I wouldn't recommend mopping, too hard to keep uniform.
    Bob Carnie might have a suggestion for you if he sees this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "mural processing" are probably the search terms you're looking for.

But yes, the mop method is sometimes used, as are troughs that you cycle the paper through. If you use FB, it's going to be very hard to handle!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi there,

you might consider getting paper and coating it with cyanotype chemistry instead of using traditional photo paper ...
    the images will expose in the sun and you just rinse in running water ...

much easier and much cheaper

have fun !
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi there,

you might consider getting paper and coating it with cyanotype chemistry instead of using traditional photo paper ...

have fun !
    john
    I second this idea. Cyanotype photograms are beautiful and will cost a small fraction of a mural roll of photo paper. Even if you've never done any alt process before, you can do a very good cyanotype with very little practice. You can use paper or fabric.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Even if you've never done any alt process before, you can do a very good cyanotype with very little practice.
    i have done workshops with grammar school kids ( 2nd , 4th and 5th grade ) and they made some of the most beautiful 1st try photograms i have ever seen !
    definitely--- no experience is necessary

john
    PM me for details

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    You might consider getting paper and coating it with cyanotype chemistry instead of using traditional photo paper ...

John, in this very case body contact with the sensitized paper will be made. This might cause problems with sweaty skin by Irritation.
    In case of doubt use transparent kitchen foil as seperation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I heard a long time ago that cyanotype materials were toxic. Would this be an issue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfohl View Post
    I thought I heard a long time ago that cyanotype materials were toxic. Would this be an issue?
    Short answer: No. The toxicity of the traditional cyanotype process is very low, and skin contact with dry material is unlikely to cause any harmful effect. The new process contains oxalate which is more toxic, but it is more expensive and onerous to make, and not practical for large sheets of linen or paper. So one presumes the original will be used, and then it is not much of an issue at all. Avoid dichromate, as it is significantly toxic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    John, in this very case body contact with the sensitized paper will be made. This might cause problems with sweaty skin by Irritation.
    In case of doubt use transparent kitchen foil as seperation.
    exactly !
    clothes would help too

john
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin