Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,481   Posts: 1,542,702   Online: 821

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Isopropyl alcohol. Will it damage negatives?

I have bee troubled with drying marks on my 35mm B&W negatives recently. I am working on a solution, but have some affected films I want to print. I bought a spray of cleaning solution which is meant for cleansing skin and equipment by professional manicurists. It is mainly Isopropyl, with some additives including a blue colour . I couldn't find straight isopropyl alcohol. It works when applied to the film base and evaporates quickly. Is the alcohol likely to cause long term damage? Thanks, Alex.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would not use it if it is blue. We do not know what the blue is and it may cause damage. Try the hardware store for pure isopropyl alcohol (sometimes sold under the name of 2-Propanol). Also for removing drying marks I have just used a Q-tip or small paint brush dipped in distilled water. It does the job and only takes a short while to dry as it in only a spot and hot the whole negative that is wet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak did recommend pure Isopropyl for film cleaning. I'm not sure how good the blue stuff would be as we don't know what's in it. Depending on your country the pure stuff shouldn't be that hard to buy - I got some from ebay, I've also heard it's available in electronic shops for cleaning inside computers.
    For future film washing after developing, distilled water is very good. Just use it for the final soak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should be relatively easy to find 90% Iso Alcohol in any pharmacy or drug store. The other 10% is water. I would give that a try. There is also 70% commonly available (perhaps labeled as "rubbing alcohol) but I'd try the 90%.

Iso Heet (sold as gas line antifreeze) is 99% iso alcohol according to the msds. The other 1% is a "proprietary additive"; which could be anything.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two grades of Isopropyl on offer: 70% (the rest is water) or 100%.
    Chose the pure one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    and remember, it's best not to mix your drinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Newspaper photogs back in the film day would add isopropyl alcohol about 50/50 in the final rinse with distilled water.

That way the film dried faster with the higher vapor pressure of the iospropyl in the mix.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not use the blue stuff and do not use Rubbing Alcohol. Isopropyl alcohol is cheap and can be bought in just about any drug store here in the US as 90% Isopropyl Alcohol, as already said the remaining 10% is water. There is also a Kodak product called Foto Flo made for drying film evenly and without marks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the 90% rubbing alcohol from the drugstore and have for years without problem. I do a final rinse of negatives in distilled water. Then my bottle of alcohol has a pinhole punched in the safety seal so I can spray on a coat of alcohol. I think it works better than photoflo in removing surface tension water drops and it helps things dry much faster. (so I can scan)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't say if Isopropyl can or won't damage the emulsion on photographic film, but I don't use it because of the residue that it can leave behind. I can only speak for the Isopropyl's that I've tested. To test, place a drop of the Isopropyl on a piece of clean glass. Once it has dried, examine the glass with a loupe. You "may" find that the Isopropyl has left behind a residue on the glass. If present, you may decide that you don't want this residue on your film.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin