Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,515   Online: 818

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

BEGINERS ERROR IN PROCESSING BW FILM

Greetings from Croatia!

After almost a year that I was giving my negatives to a studio for development, I acquired what I needed for home processing. My First BW neg that was developed entirely by my hand. What a thrill and joy. But I made few mistakes. Some I recognized and fixed and for some I need your help. I got this vertical darker lines, uneven development, only on images that were in the middle of the film (in the middle of the tank too). Images on the edges were without lines. It is not a camera error.

My development process:

I have an old non-invertable plastic tank with a reel, Universal – Laik.

The film is a Fomapan 100/120.

The chemicals are Fomadon LQN and Fomafix.

1. 20ºC – 8 min sliding on table every 30 sec./ 5X, but as I was excited it is possible that it was with shorter intervals. Could it be that here is an error that made those vertical lines?

2. water + white vinegar 1:10 one wash

3. Fixer 1:5/ 3 min (I made mistake here. Mixture was colder than I thought, so my time was too short. I've got a milky film and I refixed it for 1min and it was fine then.

4. Wash – water + few drops of dishwashing liquid, couple of times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prvifilm_0005m.jpg   DSC_1938.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it may be your "agitation " method. Just sliding the tank on a table top my not be enough. Did the tank come with a stem that connects to the reel and allows you to gently twirl the reel during development. Actually, I think you would be better off finding a tank that allows inversion.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks bobwysiwyg
    My tank doesn't have any steam, though I can make something like that if that will solve my problem.
    As film users in Croatia are countable on the fingers, the only two stores that sells darkroom stuff didn't acquire any new tanks for months now. I will probably find a way to buy it from other countries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you try the stem to twirl the reel don't go crazy a few gentle turns one way then reverse direction. Good luck trying to find an invertable, sealed tank. That would be best in my opinion.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silaart View Post
    2. water + white vinegar 1:10 one wash

3. Fixer 1:5/ 3 min (I made mistake here. Mixture was colder than I thought, so my time was too short. I've got a milky film and I refixed it for 1min and it was fine then.

4. Wash – water + few drops of dishwashing liquid, couple of times.
    A variation on stop is a teaspoon of citric acid in one litre of water.

If your film was milky after 3 minutes, and clear after four, then you should be fixing for a total of eight minutes - The standard advice is usually twice the time it takes for th film to clear.

Wash times depend on water temperature, but a couple of rinses will not be sufficient. Many people recommend the Ilford method which is:
    • Invert the tank five times and drain it completely.
    • Fill the tank again, invert it ten times, and drain it completely.
    • Fill the tank again, invert it twenty times, and drain it completely.

Myself, I usually wash in running (more of a trickle) water for around 30 minutes, but then I'm using sheet films.

edit: Just found this: ilfwash.pdf - Looks like it will be worth a read later.
    Last edited by paul_c5x4; 04-26-2013 at 06:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That style of tank originally came with a thermometer/agitator that inserted in the top and engaged the reel. I used those type of tanks in the 60's when I first started out developing. I think you either need to find something to substitute for the thermo, or buy a new tank/reel set.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all.

I'll probably buy Jobo system tank from Germany as it seems to be the most ideal way to get my negatives a good treatment.

*paul_c5x4– in the mean time I noticed few videos with wash in running water(and I will do that), but it was not for 30 minutes, it was much less time?
    Fomafix have table on the bottle with this values 3 min/20ºC.
    I am a bit confused with "-The standard advice is usually twice the time it takes for the film to clear."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To test for fixer clearing time, clip the leader (or other representative piece of film) and place it in the fixer without developing. Time how long it takes for the film to become clear, then double that time to ascertain proper fixing time for that film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    To test for fixer clearing time, clip the leader (or other representative piece of film) and place it in the fixer without developing. Time how long it takes for the film to become clear, then double that time to ascertain proper fixing time for that film.
    OK. Will do

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you go on e8ay and extend your search to all European countries, you will find dozens of Paterson System tanks available VERY cheaply. They are essentially fool-proof and bomb-proof, a design tested by hundreds or thousands of amateurs. I have used them all my life and never found anything to complain about.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin