Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Indicator stop bath

I've searched and RTFM, and have not found a good answer to this question, only passing references.
    Yes, I know many do not use stop bath, but at the moment I do.

So far I've not setup a darkroom, so have only been developing film in daylight tanks. My developing has been so sporadic that I've generally dumped chemicals long before using them up, but that will change soon.

This seems like a stupid question to me as there are no black-lights or otherwise fluorescing chemicals. The only references I've found state that stop bath changes color under safe-light.
    Am I correct in assuming the indicating die in the stop bath will change color regardless of how it is viewed? I just want to confirm that I do not need to view it under a safe-light to see an obvious color change.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The color change can easily be seen, regardless of the light source. It will turn from a pale yellow to purple.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the color change is apparent in regular light.
    As I recall, Kodak indicator stop turns purple, probably easier to see in white light, at least if you're using light colored trays.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Truzi,

You don't need a safelight to see the change in colour of an indicator stop bath. It changes from a straw colour to purple.

FWIW I've stored photographic chemicals for years (including stock developers) in airtight plastic pop bottles. Fixers and acid stop-bath won't deteriorate in the same as developers can. But YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The indicator used is often bromocresol purple at least it is the indicator in Kodak indicator stop bath. You can find samples of its color changing according to ph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanx,

It did seem obvious, but I wanted to make sure. My only darkroom experience (not much) had been in school/public darkrooms, so I've never had to deal with maintaining chemicals until a few years ago when I started developing film in my bathroom. Tech sheets and other instructions are easy to follow, but often assume people already know the very simple things (like how gently to agitate).

I wish the indicator started purple and changed to yellow - I like purple
    Truzi

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like purple too. That could also work under safelight. The traditional color (AFAIK) for the stop bath tray is yellow; so starting with purple under red safelight would give you mud if it's good, clear if it's bad. Hm.
    Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's obvious to me when the colour is shifting, even when the safelight is on. It just looks wrong when it starts to go.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A tiny strip of indicator paper would do the job with regular stop bath too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once tried adoramas indicator stop bath, because it's was a bit cheaper but the indicator didn't really work like kodaks. I just got darker but didn't go purple. Which left me guessing. I didn't like that and went back to kodaks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin