Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,379   Online: 762

Shooter
    35mm

Help with old notch codes

I came across some graflex type 5 film holders with film still in them. I've searched around for guides on notch codes and none seem to fit what I have.

The notch codes are:

-------------|__|--|__|--|__|--|__|----

and

-------------|__|----

I've traced them on paper and ran my fingernail along them and I am 95% sure the notches have straight right angles. The bottom might be kodak special order/low volume b&w film, any idea about the top one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's hard to know for sure because Dupont/Defender and Agfa/Ansco used some of the same notch codes, but according to the attached chart your film is most likely Ansco Superpan Press and/or Superpan Portrait.

Jonathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ansco-Notch-Codes.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4VnvKzG.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	293.8 KB 
ID:	67942

Thanks. I've also found this, so the 4 notches is probably ansco and the single notch might also be ansco if the photog used the same brand of film. I've got 4 sheets of the superpan press and 2 sheets of the single notch film. No idea if they have been exposed or not. Any idea what to do with them? I don't really have any prior experience with large format b&w film as I have always been a casual 35mm shooter that did my own c41 and scanned them.

Shooter
    35mm
    You could clip off a triangle from a corner, take about half and inch, 15mm, or so from each holder in turn. Do it in the dark (obviously) and develop in your 35mm tanks using any standard sort of developer and time, with swishing-about as agitation. If it looks as though the image-area of the film has more exposure than the rebate, then develop the sheet in your 35mm tanks (assuming you have a double reel tank or bigger) using a thin elastic band and the taco method - the big question would be which developer and timing of course. If the film-sheet corner simply appears to be evenly fogged (!) then you could try shooting with it and resort to your previous plan for developing the film, or use the taco-method again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin