Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,824   Online: 1083

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oriental VC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kintatsu View Post
    The Fomaspeed Variant that I tried came out poorly. The images appeared with 5-15 seconds, as opposed to 30-45 for Ilford, with the same exposure and developer. The Ilford seemd to have "sparkle," the Foma was dull and flat grey, with very little contrast for the grade.
    What color safelight are you using? I seem to recall the Foma paper needing a red safelight (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're using an amber light, it may account for your problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just finished printing a 50 sheet box of Oriental Seagull VC and I really like the results.
    (I was after a colder tone than what I get from the Ilford). I developed it in Selectol-Soft and Ethol LPD 1+2 and toned one batch in Selenium 1+9 and the other in Formulary's Nelson Gold Toner. Based on these results, I think I will be using it more often when I feel the subject matter calls for colder tones.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Oriental VC seems to have kept similar image color characteristics as the older varieties when used in common developers like Dektol and selenium toner. It certainly doesn't have the punch of older graded Seagull G bromide, but neither did the second-generation graded G, which is now discontinued too. I suspect the heyday of classic projection graded papers is over once for all; but in the meantime,
    variable-contrast paper has dramatically improved.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    ...I suspect the heyday of classic projection graded papers is over once for all...
    I used the original Oriental G (graded bromide) when it was available. I like today's Ilfobrom Galerie better.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    What color safelight are you using? I seem to recall the Foma paper needing a red safelight (someone correct me if I'm wrong). If you're using an amber light, it may account for your problems.
    I'm using a red light of relatively low intensity. I just tested it by placing a coin on the paper, and leaving it sitting out for a minute. After developing, I could see no fogging.

Thanks for the advice. I may try a different light, just to see.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I just finished printing a 50 sheet box of Oriental Seagull VC and I really like the results.
    Thank you for the news.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I developed it in Selectol-Soft and Ethol LPD 1+2 and toned one batch in Selenium 1+9 and the other in Formulary's Nelson Gold Toner. Based on these results, I think I will be using it more often when I feel the subject matter calls for colder tones.
    I only have Eukobrom, but it works cool. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find gold toner locally.

It's reassuring to know that it tones well, at least I havae options that way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    The Oriental VC seems to have kept similar image color characteristics as the older varieties when used in common developers like Dektol and selenium toner. It certainly doesn't have the punch of older graded Seagull G bromide, but neither did the second-generation graded G, which is now discontinued too. I suspect the heyday of classic projection graded papers is over once for all; but in the meantime,
    variable-contrast paper has dramatically improved.
    Thanks for the information. I wish getting graded papers was easier, as I lose contrast when contact printing with the huge amount of diffusion I'm forced to work with. I didn't lose it with the graded papers, which was nice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I used the original Oriental G (graded bromide) when it was available. I like today's Ilfobrom Galerie better.
    Thanks for the tip on the Galerie. Does it have a good neutral to cool tone?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    Oriental VC is very good paper. I would rate it a touch above Ilford MGIV but that is because I like to ferrotype prints sometimes and I have never been successful ferrotyping Ilford. Oriental VC has good shadow separation as well which I like and the highlight separation is good too. I have an easier time getting delicate highlight to print well on it.

The project The Way (to Nowhere) on my website is printed on Oriental VC. For those negatives I found it to be the superior paper over Ilford and Fotokemika.
    Cool. The shadow and bright value details really matter, and having supplies that maintain them would be a great benefit to me!

Your photos on your site are very good! Thanks for sharing the pics and the information.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Roger,

I have found cold tones can be rather elusive, unless via the gold toning route. Ilford makes a coldtone RC paper which is effective, but sadly no fibre base version.

Tom
    I saw an FB one from Oriental, if that helps.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin