Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,121   Online: 796

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Oriental VC

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Oriental VC

Does anyone have any experience with this paper?

I'm using Ilford MG filters, so things should be the same based on what I've read.

But, I'm asking after getting bitten by Foma. The Fomaspeed Variant that I tried came out poorly. The images appeared with 5-15 seconds, as opposed to 30-45 for Ilford, with the same exposure and developer. The Ilford seemd to have "sparkle," the Foma was dull and flat grey, with very little contrast for the grade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They still make Oriental paper?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    They sure do. I've been wanting to try it, as I've heard good things about it, but I've also heard good things about Foma.

I'm hoping someone can give the information to make a wiser choice than just guessing whether it's ok.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had no idea they still made it. I used it in the 80's, seem like. Pretty good stuff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using some of Oriental FB VC paper for the past few years. You'll be fine when using the Ilford filters - they work perfect.
    Compared to the Ilford paper, it needs a bit more development to get good blacks -give it 50% more time. The paper has a bit more contrast, especially in the lower tones and responds well to selenium toning, giving a more pronounced effect then the Ilford MG FB paper. And the paper has almost the same white base as the the Ilford paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear kintatsu,

I never assume the same exposure and development for two different papers. Further, subtleties in the paper base and emulsion can make one more desirable than another for a given image (although I've found I can vacillate between prints over time). Having said that, I have been happy with several prints that I've made in the last year using Oriental VC paper. I can't blame the paper for any one that I am not happy with. ;>)

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is very good. It doesn't compare to the old Oriental Seagull G from the 60s and 70s, but it is still a premium paper.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    From my experience, with or without filters, it is more contrasty, noticeably so. I don't know if i had a strange/old batch, but the contrast was way high.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Huub View Post
    I have been using some of Oriental FB VC paper for the past few years. You'll be fine when using the Ilford filters - they work perfect.
    Compared to the Ilford paper, it needs a bit more development to get good blacks -give it 50% more time. The paper has a bit more contrast, especially in the lower tones and responds well to selenium toning, giving a more pronounced effect then the Ilford MG FB paper. And the paper has almost the same white base as the the Ilford paper.
    I like the sound of it, especially with the clean white base. This should help with the tiny areas of highlights and abrupt changes between levels.

Thank you for the information! I definitely have to try some out!
    Last edited by kintatsu; 04-28-2013 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HTF III View Post
    I had no idea they still made it. I used it in the 80's, seem like. Pretty good stuff.
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin