Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,175   Online: 1149

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Stop Bath -- Too Strong?

I goofed. I mixed up a new batch of Kodak Indicator stop bath today, and must have pulled the dilution off of the wrong line of instructions (for X-ray film or some such). So instead of 8ml of concentrate, I mixed 20ml of concentrate for 500ml of working solution. The film looks okay (I haven't scanned or printed yet), but I'm wondering if I've done any hidden or long-term damage.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    no. Just cut your stopbath appropriately with water for next time

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The possible ill-effects of too-strong stop are pinholes in the emulsion caused by gas being released from the acid-base reaction. If you have these, you should be able to see them with a loupe. This would only really happen with very alkaline developers and rather soft emulsions, so you are likely alright. Do dilute your stop to the proper dilution before using it again.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. This was Tri-X 400 (120) in D76 1:1, by the way.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin