Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,928   Posts: 1,556,830   Online: 853

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Since you don't use 35mm, you don't have to worry about grain size. So there is no need for Tmax or Delta.

Go traditional, as severak others have pointed out already. FP4+ is my favorite, but I also use EFKE R25 and R100, PL25 and PL100. I used to use Agfa APX100 too, but that film was so good they killed it...

As to developer, my advice is far more unusual: Neofin blau.
    Very sharp, a little grainy, and absolutely perfect for EFKE films - they were literally made for each other! It is a little expensive, but easy to make if you can get hold of the ingredients. Well - not Neofin, but "Beutler's developer", which is quite similar but not identical. If you can get Metol, sodium sulfite and potassium carbonate you can make a lot of developers!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole

...As to developer, my advice is far more unusual: Neofin blau.
    Very sharp, a little grainy, and absolutely perfect for EFKE films - they were literally made for each other! It is a little expensive, but easy to make if you can get hold of the ingredients. Well - not Neofin, but "Beutler's developer", which is quite similar but not identical. If you can get Metol, sodium sulfite and potassium carbonate you can make a lot of developers!
    I use a lot of EFKE R25 and R100 (120 roll film), PL25 and PL100 (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10).

In my personal experience, these Efke films work well with many different developers, including Rodinal, Agfa-8 and Beutler (see the APUG Chemical Recipe section).

The Ascorbic Acid based developers (Xtol, PC-TEA, M(Metol)C-TEA, etc) also work very well with these films, in my experience.

D-76 and ID11 have been reported to work well with the Efke films, but I have not tried them.

My personal choice of developer for Efke 25 and Efke 100 is Pyrocat-HD. Most of my current work is contact printed on Azo.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Beutles?

Hey guys-where is the beutler's recipe hiding out? I know I've seen it but can't seem to locate it. Developer;non-staining right?
    Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    Hey guys-where is the beutler's recipe hiding out? I know I've seen it but can't seem to locate it. Developer;non-staining right?
    Peter
    Right. And since it's old, and basic, it's on page one. As "The Original Beutler's".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is hiding in the APUG Chemical Recipes section.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Thanks

Thanks tom and Ole -just wasn't going back far enough in the file to find it. Now to see if I want to try this developer on Efke 100
    Thanks again,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth
    I think you ought to mention if there are any brands you cannot get first. Going for easy to get bigger brands makes sense......
    I'd make my orders at www.fotoimpex.de is in Germany; it has almost any film or developer mentioned in this thread at a good prices, compared to Italian average.

Ok, I want to try the FP4+. But I've not decided yet which developer I shall use/buy. Since I do not shot very much (for now) I'd go for a long-lasting reliable liquid developer. Grain isn't an issue, because of the larger formats. Wide tonal range and a smooth contrast is what I'm looking for. I think I'll start with Agfa MC paper and Neutol WA (since I like warmer tones).

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want long lasting HC110 again fits the bill and I have heard time and time again that it meshes with FP4 plus really really well (tho I have not use this combo). Off the shelf materials, loads of people use them both so could help you out with answeres to questions etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm amazed none of the Rodinal mafia have popped up on this thread yet....

If you want long life and are not worried about grain and want sharpness and good tonality when Rodinal is your man! A bottle of Rodinal will last forever. Cheap too as you use it at very high dilution (1+25 or more).

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    I'm amazed none of the Rodinal mafia have popped up on this thread yet....

If you want long life and are not worried about grain and want sharpness and good tonality when Rodinal is your man! A bottle of Rodinal will last forever. Cheap too as you use it at very high dilution (1+25 or more).

Cheers, Bob.
    Well, I'm not a member of the inner circle, but I am a Rodinal user.

[/QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson]
    I use a lot of EFKE R25 and R100 (120 roll film), PL25 and PL100 (4x5, 5x7 and 8x10).

In my personal experience, these Efke films work well with many different developers, including Rodinal, Agfa-8 and Beutler (see the APUG Chemical Recipe section)...
    [/QUOTE]
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin