Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 977

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    It seems that at the end of a session of printing or film developing, as I am pouring and rinsing and cleaning up, I often get a whiff of ammonia. What is getting mixed with what to give me this odor?
    I get this too when I'm mixing Perma-Wash with Selenium Toner. I don't know which chemicals are reacting with which, but it's something in that combination of washing aid with selenium toner.

Larry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    I get this too when I'm mixing Perma-Wash with Selenium Toner. I don't know which chemicals are reacting with which, but it's something in that combination of washing aid with selenium toner.
    Why on earth do you do that???? Mix your selenium toner with water; your Perma-Wash with water, and keep the two separate!

KRST contains ammonium thiosulfate, BTW...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I too believe the smell is from the ammonium thiosulfate in the KRST

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 01-16-2005 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Why on earth do you do that???? Mix your selenium toner with water; your Perma-Wash with water, and keep the two separate!

KRST contains ammonium thiosulfate, BTW...

I wasn't clear enough. I don't mix the PermaWash and Selenium together directly, but add both of them to water to make my washing aid. I'm not adding enough selenium to act as a toner and change the print tone, but only enough to coat the silver particles and add permanence. When I want to actually tone prints, then, of course I keep them separate.

Larry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    ... I'm not adding enough selenium to act as a toner and change the print tone, but only enough to coat the silver particles and add permanence. ...
    The value of this is questionable, from what I've heard. I think the main effect is to release selenium into the environment, without beneficial effects to the prints.
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The value of this is questionable, from what I've heard. I think the main effect is to release selenium into the environment, without beneficial effects to the prints.

Any source for this? I'd like to check it out, because I agree that if it's not helping my prints, then there's good reason not to do it. I haven't heard the efficacy of this questioned before. I use about 30 ml of selenium per liter of washing aid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    am I reading this wrong, or is the archival value of KRST seriously questionable?

Should we start a new thread for this?
    All other things being equal, does treatment of negs and prints with KRST increase, have no effect on, or decrease archival permanence?

-KwM-

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i thought i posted this the other day, but
    ole, many years ago it was common to mix sel. with HCA. old school thinking.

THe last time i looked the directions on the KST label still list that as an option.

Maine-iac

it would b e helpful for you to review the data from the IPI regarding the archival properties of selenium. Based on their recommendations, what you are doing is not adding any permance protection. It is neither cost effective or environmental sound.

Am sorry i don't have the orginal paper source, but check out Tim Rudmans' comments in his book on Toning under the chapter on Archival permanence.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    i thought i posted this the other day, but

Maine-iac

it would b e helpful for you to review the data from the IPI regarding the archival properties of selenium. Based on their recommendations, what you are doing is not adding any permance protection. It is neither cost effective or environmental sound.

Am sorry i don't have the orginal paper source, but check out Tim Rudmans' comments in his book on Toning under the chapter on Archival permanence.

Thanks, Ann, I will check it out. I don't like Selenium any better than the next guy. Maybe you can teach old dogs new tricks.

Larry

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The value of KRST is not in question, but the value of a light toning without tonal change is.

I think it was dicussed in some depth on the pure-silver mailing list a while back, but I'm going to have to hope for some help here. Ryuji?
    Norway

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin