Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,926   Online: 1184

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images

Ammonia spell, where from?

It seems that at the end of a session of printing or film developing, as I am pouring and rinsing and cleaning up, I often get a whiff of ammonia. What is getting mixed with what to give me this odor?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wonder if it could be the fix as a lot of rapid fixers use ammonium thiosulphate.

Images
    Canuck, could be, must be. What sets it off? Some acid or base?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I discovered was that the mixing of the developer and fixer gives this nice pungent aroma. Just tried it to confirm it

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mixing ammonium thiosulfate (rapid fix) with a strong alkali (developer) releases ammonia. Basic chemistry!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm

Very enlightening

That was a wonderful explanation. Now please tell me how simply imbibing tap water puts the ammonia smell into my Depends.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i mixed formulary tf-4 with tap water instead of distilled water and got outgassing of ammonia. it is the only chemistry i have had this happen with, and was told that it was the chlorine & other additives in the tapwater.

maybe you are having the same problem claire
    Last edited by jnanian; 01-16-2005 at 01:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey, the higher is the dilution, the further goes the hydrolysis - both acid and base in ammonium thiosulfate are weak, so no wonder it hydrolyzes so readily, giving you a full aroma ))

Zhenya

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian
    i mixed formulary tf-4 with tap water instead of distilled water and got outgassing of ammonia. it is the only chemistry i have had this happen with, and was told that it was the chlorine & other additives in the tapwater. maybe you are having the same problem claire
    [Blatant plug]
    That's why I made my OF-1 fixer buffered. Well - one of the reasons, but in my eyes (and nose) an important one. Find it in the Chemistry Recipes section.
    [/Blatant Plug]
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    Lately I've been processing some Efke KB100 and when I open the tank after dumping the fixer...[SIZE=3]P.U.![/SIZE] It's not Amonia or Acid or Sulpher. It smells like that Moo Shu Pork that you shoved to the back of your refrigerator a few months ago and forgot about. It goes away quickly with washing but really knocks you over when you first open the tank. Never experienced it with any other film.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin