Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,346   Online: 882

Thread: Kodak Ektalure?

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak Ektalure?

Hola my friends!could you give me all the informations,opinions or comments about this old paper?thanks

Ektalure was the last of Kodak's line of warm-toned portrait papers. It has a shorter tonal range than other enlarging papers, and is made only in one grade. It has not been made in about 10 years or so, and any that has not been frozen may show some fog.

When processed with a warm-tone print developer and toned in dilute selenium toner, it produces beautiful cool chocolate-brown tones. Adding 5 grams of potassium bromide to a liter of working strength print developer should both inhibit fog and increase the warmth of the tones. It is a slow paper so enlarging will take a little more exposure than for faster papers, and it needs a full 5 minutes of fixing in fresh fixer with frequent agitation. Rinse it in a running water bath for a few minutes after fixing and before looking at it in room light. It changes. Be sure to keep all your developing solutions at the same temperature - the paper can get very coarse "pepper grain" if solutions go from hot to cold.

Ektalure was designed with studio portraiture in mind. Its short tonal scale helps separate delicate skin tones. It's a beautiful paper. There is no reason not to use it for other purposes, just be aware that you may not be able to render adequate shadow detail in landscapes without adjusting your film exposure and development.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got some I bought supposedly frozen and now in my freezer. How dilute should the ST be and for how long?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I have about half a package in my basement, but it is old and has not been refrigerated. I don't have much hope for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Whenever I see a thread that mentions the name Ektalure, my heart skips a beat.

Camera store I worked at while in school had a bunch; I and several classmates bought it all when the store decided to stop carrying it. Sadly that was 1998 and it's all gone now. I used it for hand-coloring with reasonable success.
    “For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”
    ― Henri Cartier-Bresson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's simply a beauty... Amazing lith colors too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have some, it's probably toast by now. PM me, and I will help you dispose of it in a proper manner.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    This paper, old and fogged, developed with some aids (BZT + potassium bromide + Liquidol) prints nice n beautiful....fog is gone....check out some of my recent experiments below...Intend to think this paper is immortal (errr....made with cadmium)...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum41/78292-ektalure.html
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks!does this paper lith?

Shooter
    35mm
    What do you think about that?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin