Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,478   Online: 1090

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    fotch:

You are indeed a very lucky person. For fifty years.

Hell, I drop beer bottles all the time in the bar. It is not my home, but it happen. Taken out trash, bumping against a table or something. Maybe it is because my wife love to collect glass, ceramic, and china figurines.

Fobia..., I have a few.
    I am afraid the government is going to take my guns away.
    I am afraid the health insurance cost will go through the roof.
    I am afraid the North Koreans just may decide to grow some balls and blast us.
    Fobia..., just a few

But good luck. Fifty years and counting.

KennyE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    KennyE, those are not phobias, they are rational concerns. But I am still going to use metal mason jar lids, and if that keeps you up at night, that would be a phobia.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I purchase sodium sulfite in bulk and lately it comes in plastic bags (!) . I immediately transfer all of the sufite to mason jars for storage. I re-use the jars that the spaghetti sauce comes in. This seems a perfect solution. Glass does not "breath".

Oh, I also use real glass beakers when processing film...just seems natural. Yes, I have broken one and yea, it made a mess...no biggie. Can't let little stuff like that change your life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    BradS, I like that. I certainly use enough spaghetti sauce in any given week.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I store my color developers in mason jars, filled to the top and the developers last for years that way. KennyE, can you do that with plastic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by newcan1 View Post
    I have no problem with glass. I'm going to use mason jars for now - but will take KennyE's advice for the longer term and replace them when feasible with plastic jars.

I still have some dry chemicals from the early 80's in plastic jars but with metal lids - they have held up very well, so again for now, I'm just going to use the mason jar lids.
    I have two jars of phenidone. One is glass and the contents are still good after 4o years. The other is plastic and the contents terned to black tar in less than a year. Glass is best for storing chemicals. Developers and other solution should not be mixed in the darkroom. Nor for that matter should raw chemicals be stored there. So glass is really not a problem.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do reuse food storage containers for darkroom chemistry. They do not go back into food storage use when they have finished thier darkroom use.

I use 'mr yuk' stickers I made up from an image I pulled of of the web to label every food container that contains a non food item.

Yes, wide mouth mason jars for many dry chems, as well as glass packer jars meant for dry drug storage use.

Non moisture or oxitation risk chemistry gets stored in plastic wide mount packer jars.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, OK..., I get it. If its good for your food, its good for your chemicals. Got it........

I know that glass has been on this planet longer than man. Every since lightening struck sand and fuse the two together. But plastic has come a long way since Booker T. Washington and Henry Ford the 1st.

Look guys, this is the way I see it. When PF stop shipping my chemicals in plastic containers, and start using glass. That will be the day..., I will start to change everything over to glass.

Besides, my industrial hero John Heniz started out using mason jars to sell his mother's horse radish.

Enjoy your 189 year mason jar designs.

I am standing down.

KennyE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin