Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,175   Online: 1232

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mason jars to store dry chemicals?

I have acquired a sizeable amount of metol, hydroquinone, and potassium bromide, shipped in bags. I would like to store them in airtight containers. Anyone care to comment on using mason jars for this purpose? I don't think the containers need to be dark, do they?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mason jars should be fine, but Kilner jars with a rubber seal and spring lock might be better.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used them for this duty and used a vacuum sealer to draw the air out and seal the jars. Seemed to work very well.
    Craig Schroeder

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use this for some chemicals - I fill them up to slightly overfull (yes a bit of spillage) and then put cling wrap/Saran wrap on the top and screw down the lid fully. Works for me and they stay on a bottom cabinet where it is nice and dark. If you really need it dark (and you might, since I mainly keep fixer in mine), spray paint them black.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I remember, wasn't The Mason Jar the college newspaper of George Mason University?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used them for many years and as a chemist can say they work very well. No need for Saran wrap which could actually interfere with an air tight seal.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    I remeber reading that it is perferable to use a dark tinted glass containter to protect the contents from light and keep them in a cool dark place. Do they make dark colored Mason Jars?
    WJS/wi/usa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    About the only photo-chemistry which might be light sensitive are developers, and some of their components, and sensitizers. keep these in a cabinet with a door on it and you don't need to worry about the color of the glass.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    PET plastic (juice, soda, Gatorade, etc) are extremely good and available at your closest trash can for nominal 'cost'. Just wash and dry thoroughly. If chemical is light sensitive, just keep in drawer or cabinet. - David Lyga

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    One caution: Mason Jars are used to store food. If you are putting possibly dangerous substances in them, make sure they are clearly marked. I'm talking idiot proof squared. (As soon as you make something idiot proof, they come up with better idiots.) I'm talking labels on the jar and lid and cabinet, tape around the lid, lock on cabinet, etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin