Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,503   Online: 827

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Stop Bath Sound?

Ok, Maybe I just never noticed this before. Mixed up all fresh chemistry. Ansco 130 1:1 with 100ml per liter of TAF-1, Foma Stop and Kodak fix. Kodabromide paper. When I put the paper in the stop it sounds like a very very distant jet engine winding down. A high pitch whine that fades. Am I loosing my mind?
    This is the first time i've ever used TAF-1. BTW it worked like a charm to rid this old Kodabromide of fog.
    greg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Am I loosing my mind?
    Yes, and we do not need any more crazy people on this site. Go print some more and think. CO2?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen this happen before, it's gas bubbles from the basic developer mixing with the acidic stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably CO2 - a reaction product of the Carbonate alkali in the developer and the acid stop bath. I can't recall offhand how dependent this is (or not) on the pH level, concentration of the stop bath etc. Not sure why it would happen sometimes and not others, but my understanding is only a small amount of CO2 is formed and that it quickly dissolves.

I doubt it has anything to do with TAF-1, which is probably just Benzotriazole or a similar compound.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahhh. Thanks. Yes, back to work.
    greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your work whistles for you.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Losing it, maybe; definitely not loosing it.

Seriously, carbonate-based developers will cause this when you use an acid stop bath.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    I've seen this happen before, it's gas bubbles from the basic developer mixing with the acidic stop.
    Ahh, yes. But have you heard it before ????

But seriously folks, in my early days in this game, someone told me that when you heard the screaming, the development was stopped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've heard it in the past with fiber based papers. I do not hear it now from any of the fiber based papers I use, but then again I also stopped using acetic acid stop years ago and went to an (almost) odorless citric acid based stop. I don't know if the PH at working strength is similar though it should be, or if the change has anything to do with the lack of sound from current papers I use.

Humm..just read the above. I use Ethol LPD and Harman WT depending on the paper. The old fizzy days might have been with Dektol?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Am I loosing my mind?

Yes. Tighten it up immediately or you might lose it.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin