Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,549,193   Online: 1215

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Whole Plate film

I mostly shoot whole plate (6½ x 8½) in the UK. I generally use Ilford FP4+ which they cut once a year.
    I would like to use Kodak film as well and note that KB Canham in the US offer a cutting service.
    Anybody have any experience of this?

Thanks

Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There was one 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 special order of TMY-2. We placed it through Glazer's Cameras in Seattle before KB Canham was involved. I spearheaded the effort, coordinating (through Glazer's) required exact dimensions. When Kodak delivered the film, it was cut too small (despite my extensive, explicit specifications), placed in static-charged plastic bags instead of Kodak's usual laminated vapor-seal inner envelopes and then put in unlined, dust-laden cardboard boxes. An unmitigated disaster.

KB Canham doesn't offer a "cutting service." Rather, it's a special-order consolidating service, with a rather large minimum quantity requirement. I advised Keith Canham about how size and packaging needs to be done perfectly for non-standard-size special orders. Keith seems to have succeeded, recently posting pictures on his Facebook page showing a delivery of 6x7 inch film someone purchased. All the earlier issues appeared to have been corrected. While I've been contacted by others about a possible 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 320TXP order, insufficient interest has existed to approach the required minimum quantity.

Today, I'm happily using 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 Delta 100. It yields exquisite images when printed on Ilfobrom Galerie. I strongly suggest stocking up on that film when HARMAN opens the special order period this Friday rather than pursuing any 6-1/2 x 8-1/2 Kodak emulsions. Doing so will not only help you achieve the best possible photographs, it will also cost roughly half as much as a hypothetical yellow alternative would.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hi Sal,
    thanks for your comprehensive reply. I'll stick with the home-grown solution from Ilford!

Simon

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin