Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,952   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no desire to be forced out of the darkroom forever. If you don't wear gloves, their is a fair chance this will happen. Sensitization is a very real hazard. i t wont kill you, but it will end your darkroom career, so the real men can swagger all they want, and ill be the guy still printing.

I always wear nitrile gloves. Once you are used to them, there isn't a problem. You can rinse or wash your hands just as you would without them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use the tong aswell. I do some touching with transfering prints to tray to tray, but make sure I wash hand frequently to not cross contaimination. The only I don't touch is that Seleninium Toning. After I'm done printing my hands are dry as heck. Gloves.. worries me about residue. I guess it depends on what your comfortable with.

ToddB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't mind using nitrile gloves but they iritate my hands.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have no desire to be forced out of the darkroom forever. If you don't wear gloves, their is a fair chance this will happen. Sensitization is a very real hazard. i t wont kill you, but it will end your darkroom career, so the real men can swagger all they want, and ill be the guy still printing.

I always wear nitrile gloves. Once you are used to them, there isn't a problem. You can rinse or wash your hands just as you would without them.
    A friend of mine has had this happen to him. He loves photography, used to have a darkroom, and is now confined to using digital means of the craft. It seems to me he misses his darkroom a lot.

You cannot sense it coming, you don't know when it's going to happen. One day it'll just be so, and there is nothing that can be done about it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I wouldn't mind using nitrile gloves but they iritate my hands.

Jeff
    Have you considered using a barrier cream? Not as effect as gloves but better than nothing. In my experience most pharmacies have them or can order one.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only used surgical gloves for the evil Cibachrome chemistry.

Best regards,

/Clay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The risk from MQ and PQ developers is minimal unless one has a Metol allergy. However the same cannot be said of other solutions such as staining developers. Pyrogallol is so toxic that as a chemist I will not use it except under laboratory conditions. The LDLo (minimum lethal dose) for this chemical is 28 mg per kg of body weight. The level for chronic exposure is even less. This chemical is readily absorbed thru the skin. There is a particular danger from inhaling dust when mixing developers containing it. I don't wish to be alarmist but this is very nasty stuff. To put its toxicity in perspective the LDLo for potassium cyanide is 2.8 mg per kg. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, when pyrogallol was routinely used as a developing agent it was known that photographers died at a younger age than the rest of the population.

As with all chemicals I urge people to carefully read the MSDS for each and observe any safety conditions required.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-10-2013 at 11:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As a society we have become more sensitive to toxins, and warnings have certainly ramped up, while many of the materials that we often use have gotten safer. I was in a restaurant, and a young waitress was struggling to remove the plastic capsule covering the cork on a bottle of wine. I commented on how much easier it was to remove the capsules when they were made of lead, and she told me that lead was very toxic, and they would never use it on a bottle!

I tend to wear nitrile gloves when mixing chemicals, and depending on what I am mixing, a mask as well. When printing, I will either wear no gloves and use tongs, or I will have a glove on my left hand. I like to keep my right hand dry and clean for handling the dry paper. It is so much harder to figure out if your gloved hand is clean and dry than a bare hand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan R View Post
    I have just bought a bottle of Tetenal's Dokumol. Although it seems a fairly conventional formulation, the health warnings are decidedly scary: 'Risk of irreversible damage to health'.
    I wonder what the ingredient(s) is/are in Tetenal's Dokumol that warrants the above warning? Can't recall quite such a dire warning with anything from Ilford? So is there a difference or is Tetenal just being ultra cautious as a result of the company's legal dept breathing down its neck?

Anyone know the ingredient(s)?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Small prints get the tong treatment. Anything larger than 11x14, I wear gloves. It's a million times easier to grab a 16x20 with your hands.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin