Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,664   Posts: 1,481,682   Online: 749

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gloves

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Those safety data sheets are made up in a uniform way and will not take into account the usage of that chemical.
    The manufacturer editing a label has to find a way to warn of practical threats and still not overlook the general threat an igredient may yield.

I know at Apug are several members who developed an allergy so that they had to stop some processes or even darkroom work at all. So take those warnings of skin contact serious.
    This makes it easy for anyone to read and understand them. When you use chemicals for more than casual around the house stuff, you should always look at the MSDS. I would hope that this is part of any plan to decide your risk. Unfortunately, some data is incomplete, for instance in the sense of numbers of instances, broad generalizations are used. That is why I would suggest looking further and evaluating your risk. This is especially important for folks with existing conditions that may be exacerbated by exposure to chemicals or component dusts.

I personally don't generate enough time and contact to justify wearing gloves. Especially given the fact that I rinse immediately after removing a sheet of film or paper. For others, this may not be true.

I do, however, agree that anything that has been proven to cause sensitivity or allergy, should be treated with caution.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    One of the issues that MSDS ... the silver that would be in the fixer (and the only "real" problem, imo) wasn't an issue to them...
    Holy cow, what a loophole. Of course. Fresh fixer doesn't contain ANY silver. So it wouldn't be on the MSDS! I guess the proper thing to do would be to get an MSDS for Silver. Provide it with the original MSDS.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Have you considered using a barrier cream? Not as effect as gloves but better than nothing. In my experience most pharmacies have them or can order one.
    I might consider that.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have no desire to be forced out of the darkroom forever. If you don't wear gloves, their is a fair chance this will happen. Sensitization is a very real hazard. i t wont kill you, but it will end your darkroom career, so the real men can swagger all they want, and ill be the guy still printing.

I always wear nitrile gloves. Once you are used to them, there isn't a problem. You can rinse or wash your hands just as you would without them.
    I always wear nitrile gloves when printing for this reason. There is a side benefit too: I often use paper negatives and if you are wearing clean dry nitrile gloves there is no chance for fingerprints around the edges.

I'm not recommending this, but I've stopped wearing gloves for developing film in my daylight tanks.. they don't leak and I never spill anything and it's in the sink if I ever did. It just got so that I couldn't see a reason to wear them.
    Some photos: http://www.ipernity.com/home/295785 ( mostly analog )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a chemist by training and never, ever would work with any chemical of any kind without gloves on. There is no safe level of exposure, only less hazardous. Good chemical hygiene is the secret to working with chemicals safely for a long time. That includes good ventilation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hospital ER rooms have very thin and tactile nitrite "second skin" gloves for examinations, often in blue, black, latex-colour...even green, if you're fussy about colours. You can also buy large packs of 100-200 or more from medical supply stores.

A lot of darkroom chemicals can be quite nasty and aggravating to people with skin cancers on hands or dermatological problems. Erring on the side of safety and caution is better than a cavalier approach.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I keep nitrile gloves around but I never use them. I also never put my hands in any chemistry, ever. If I am mixing anything like Pyro or PPD it is done outside when I am dealing with the powders. I prefer to mix any powders outside.

My Jobo tanks leak occasionally, usually with the fix but rarely with the developer. I have a habit of only picking up the tank with a paper towel in my hand. This minimizes contact in case of a leak, although gloves would be better. The paper towel absorbs the majority of what might have gotten on my skin.

When I was younger and less careful I would occasionally get Pyro on my hands, just a little mind you; a couple drops. Almost immediately I would have a taste in my mouth like burned rubber. Not pleasant and it goes to show how easily the chemical is absorbed into the skin. It is no wonder Weston had health problems and died relatively young. If only he was careful! Imagine what he could have done later in his life if only he lived another 20 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Erring on the side of safety and caution is better than a cavalier approach.
    Absolutely. The damage most chemicals cause takes time to show up so you might feel well getting exposed to these chemicals but that does not mitigate the damage being done. Once you get used to wearing gloves, they become second nature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The #1 reason for wearing gloves is to keep fingerprints off your prints....and uh, health and safety too...

Shooter
    Large Format

Selenium

I use tongs for most of my printing and rinse my hands frequently. Then, when doing the final wash and selenium toning I put on my nitrile gloves. The MSDS says that selenium is absorbed through the skin in sufficient quanitities to be toxic. Why take a chance? The gloves are inexpensive and as noted by several others don't effect the ability to handle the paper even when wet and slippery.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin