Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,881   Posts: 1,520,510   Online: 827

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Delta 3200 & Rodinal

Hi there,

I usually develope Ilford Delta 3200 in Tmax developer but wanted to try it out in Rodinal. I processed a roll of 120 yesterday using Ilfords instructions of 1:25 at 20 degrees for 11 minutes. They came out very under developed.

Do any of you have any alternative deveoping times/dilutions etc for this film in Rodinal?

Thanks,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have also done this, but my negs came out only slightly under done. Check out the listings at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
    I have also tried the method from Les McLean's book (Creative B&W Photography). 1+10 for 9 min. makes for a stronger base fog but negs are still easily printed. I don't have my files or the book here, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This might be something inherent with Delta 3200.

I usually soup it in DD-X but was getting very thin negs at Ilford's recommeded times. It improved a lot when I used the times for ISO 6400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    I have also done this, but my negs came out only slightly under done. Check out the listings at http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html
    I have also tried the method from Les McLean's book (Creative B&W Photography). 1+10 for 9 min. makes for a stronger base fog but negs are still easily printed. I don't have my files or the book here, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As rogueish has said at 3200 ISO 1 to 10 20c 9 mins is a good starting point. If you are pushing the film further, for 6400 ISO try1 to 10 12 mins 22c
    and for 25000 ISO try 1 to 10 14 mins 24c. These times and dilutions not to mention the increase in temperature will produce a higher base fog but this will not cause any major problems other than a longer exposure time.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a word on this.

As a BIG Rodinal user I have used it with a lot of films. Delta 3200 in Rodinal 1+25 for 11 minutes is not enough although it is the time listed. I found out that the time (11 minutes) is with Delta 3200 @ 1000. This is because Delta 3200 is ISO 1000 film with good push quality. This is just not mentioned along with the time. I have done this combo 1+25 for 22 minutes with ok results.

But mostly I use HC-110 with this film. Rodinal is best with slow films, I think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you to all of you.

Of all the places I looked for information, I forgot to check your book Les. I will use your instructions on my next roll.

Regards,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also forgot to mention that if using times other that Les's, you should develop for one ISO rating higher than what it was shot at. If you shot 3200 at 3200, then dev for 6400 times (20 min.). If shot at 1600 then dev for 11min. This was recommended to me by a fellow APUGer, and also works for me.
    Hope you like grain!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Grain???, I love Grain.

Thanks for your help Rogueish.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you for this thread! I just put a roll of Delta 3200 in my Brownie Hawkeye and I would have never known to develop different. I will have to figure out what to do... perhaps I should pick up a different developer... but yes I do so love that grain also.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin