Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,444   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ilford SFX 200

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    How does one shoot this film with an IR filter such as the Hoya R72? Any problems with a dark red filter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    A dark red filter will produce minimal IR effect. In order to fully bring it out, it's best to use the SFX filter that Ilford makes (I think they still make it), which lets through only a narrow band of wavelengths to hit the sweet spot of the film.
    You'd have to be on a tripod, and use a meter as if the film was around ISO 1 to ISO 3 or so, and then bracket. Like with any IR film you will soon learn what works and what doesn't.

I hope that helps.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    A dark red filter will produce minimal IR effect. In order to fully bring it out, it's best to use the SFX filter that Ilford makes (I think they still make it), which lets through only a narrow band of wavelengths to hit the sweet spot of the film.
    The Cokin 007 is the same filter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use a generic Chinese clone of the R72 (720nm lowpass) and SFX comes out well at EI2 with that filter.

I also found that TTL metering with my Dynax 5 worked fine through the filter with this film (DX box speed 200) - your results will vary with the spectral sensitivity of your camera's meter so you might need to apply a consistent adjustment, e.g. by forcing the camera's ISO setting to something else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My entry in the Ilford APUG contest a few years ago was shot on unfiltered SFX 200.

The slightly different spectral response is interesting to work with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dead_tulips-01b.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only shot a couple rolls, and do not have an IR filter (sorry, don't have a scanner to post pictures).

I really like SFX. It does look like "normal" B&W without a filter, but seems to have a different "feel" to it.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the exposure info on this film. I shot a few rolls of this film years ago, but forgot how I shot it. I have found a few frozen rolls of 120 that I think I might like to try and will probably try to process it in Thornton's two bath developer. Any other processing suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It fogs pretty quickly once expired, even frozen. You might want to give it an extra stop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin